MacKenzie

Pork Ribs on the 16 KK Using OctoForks

Aussie, I did the cook in the 16 inch and it is pretty close to the lump, maybe 2 inches or so but I did have the basket full.

@ mk1, the thing I noticed most is that the meat seems to be continually basted by the  meat juices or perhaps you mean why run a rotisserie this way, I'm pretty certain you could get a lot more meat on using this method especially if you were using a larger grill. I was using the 16 inch.

15 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Aussie, I did the cook in the 16 inch and it is pretty close to the lump, maybe 2 inches or so but I did have the basket full.

@ mk1, the thing I noticed most is that the meat seems to be continually basted by the  meat juices or perhaps you mean why run a rotisserie this way, I'm pretty certain you could get a lot more meat on using this method especially if you were using a larger grill. I was using the 16 inch.

I was hoping I could get a full rack on my 23" but there wasn't enough clearance. I believe there is some benefit to the self basting on the rotisserie though.

1 hour ago, Steve M said:

I was hoping I could get a full rack on my 23" but there wasn't enough clearance. I believe there is some benefit to the self basting on the rotisserie though.

How long were the ribs and was it clearance to the lid or to the bottom?   I'd imagine you could do some trimmed  up spares or smaller BB whole.  Halves do great though, I got 3 racks worth of 1/2 racks in a WSM 18.5".  Halves cook just as good for sure.  The self basting is much more pronounced on ribs spinning vertically, the glaze that develops is uncanny.

Just now, Keith OctoForks said:

How long were the ribs and was it clearance to the lid or to the bottom?   I'd imagine you could do some trimmed  up spares or smaller BB whole.  Halves do great though, I got 3 racks worth of 1/2 racks in a WSM 18.5".  Halves cook just as good for sure.  The self basting is much more pronounced on ribs spinning vertically, the glaze that develops is uncanny.

They were good size St louis cut slabs. I cut them in half and tried to put one half on a fork on each side of the rotisserie rod. I think they would have cleared the dome but wouldn't clear the charcoal basket. I considered turning them sideways but I think they would have been flopping around too much.

2 minutes ago, Steve M said:

They were good size St louis cut slabs. I cut them in half and tried to put one half on a fork on each side of the rotisserie rod. I think they would have cleared the dome but wouldn't clear the charcoal basket. I considered turning them sideways but I think they would have been flopping around too much.

They must of been good size because those 23" look like deep cookers!    Yes stick with vertical on ribs for sure, you'll like they way they cook.

I didn't have mine put together quite right and I took another pix showing how they are to do it properly. I didn't have the any bolts in the square holes on the ends. This will lock the forks in solid and also make adjusting a little easier.  Some people only read instructions only when all else fails.:)

To adjust them all you need to so is loosen both the bolts a little and slide the fork and tighten again. It is much easier to make adjustments with this setup.

Adjusted OctoForks.jpg

I had them like this-

New OctoForks.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I didn't have mind put together quite right and I took another pix showing how they are to do it properly. I didn't have the any bolts in the square holes on the ends. This will lock the forks in solid and also make adjusting a little easier.  Some people only read instructions only when all else fails.:)

Adjusted OctoForks.jpg

I had them like this-

New OctoForks.jpg

Yes they'll adjust much easier that way now.    If you ever need to get around bones in a piece of meat you can adjust that side to miss it too.    They cleaned up good it looks like!    Sometimes mine are so baked on they really need some soaking.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keith OctoForks said:

Yes they'll adjust much easier that way now.    If you ever need to get around bones in a piece of meat you can adjust that side to miss it too.    They cleaned up good it looks like!    Sometimes mine are so baked on they really need some soaking.

Give that PBW a try. I think you will like it.

Yes I want to check out that PBW too.   I love using this ultrasonic cleaner but it's only as good as the solution you use.  Right now I'm dropping in a dishwasher tablet but adding some of that PBW might power through the baked on even better.    I cook pretty hot sometimes and it's always over flames so things can get seriously baked on which is why I picked up this ultrasonic.

4 hours ago, Keith OctoForks said:

Yes I want to check out that PBW too.   I love using this ultrasonic cleaner but it's only as good as the solution you use.  Right now I'm dropping in a dishwasher tablet but adding some of that PBW might power through the baked on even better.    I cook pretty hot sometimes and it's always over flames so things can get seriously baked on which is why I picked up this ultrasonic.

Just go with the straight up PBW. I'd be a bit cautious of mixing chemicals. I use PBW in my brew room all the time. I've been a staunch advocate on this forum for using it to clean grates and especially the rotisserie basket. Unfortunately, the roti basket is longer than a standard Lowes/Home Depot 5 gallon bucket. But, it's a simple matter to flip it over after a couple of hours and soak the other end. To do grates, folks have been using big tubs used to mix up mortar/cement like these.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MacCourt-Drywall-Mud-Pans/1054711

• Like 1