Pequod

Authentic Chicago Deep Dish...in Excruciating Detail

Someone at Amazing Ribs recently asked about replacing the corn oil in this recipe with butter or another healthier oil. Tonight I made this recipe with 64g of softened, unsalted butter in place of corn oil and omitted the olive oil entirely. All other ingredients were the same. The result? Outstanding! The crust was a bit lighter and flakier, with more flavor (but no distinctly buttery notes, which could be distracting in a pizza), tending more toward a savory, yeasted pie crust if you can imagine such a thing. This may become my new go to deep dish recipe.

Edited by Pequod

8 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Someone at Amazing Ribs recently asked about replacing the corn oil in this recipe with butter or another healthier oil. Tonight I made this recipe with 64g of softened, unsalted butter in place of corn oil and omitted the olive oil entirely. All other ingredients were the same. The result? Outstanding! The crust was a bit lighter and flakier, with more flavor (but no distinctly buttery notes, which could be distracting in a pizza), tending more toward a savory, yeasted pie crust if you can imagine such a thing. This may become my new go to deep dish recipe.

Another butter alternative would be clarified butter/ghee. It has a higher smoke point than plain butter and since the milk solids have been removed you have removed the biggest component that makes butter taste like butter. 

I've replaced the oil with ghee in my latest personal pan pizza cooks. I like the results. 

Edited by ckreef

I recently did another attempt at deep dish. I mostly followed real deep dish and used about 15% more dough so it fit properly in the lloyds 12” pan. I used all corn oil this time.
It came right out of the pan and the crust had a great flaky consistency. e7ed46bb225ff12efe0efd9fa9692cd0.jpg708a815e27d6634ecbf428714ad95466.jpg48b08f5b39289c0486f52b98e89b43a4.jpg3b71d84eed149a373f37e35df673c675.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

15 hours ago, ckreef said:

Another butter alternative would be clarified butter/ghee. It has a higher smoke point than plain butter and since the milk solids have been removed you have removed the biggest component that makes butter taste like butter. 

I've replaced the oil with ghee in my latest personal pan pizza cooks. I like the results. 

No reason ghee wouldn't work as well. However, bread is generally considered cooked at around 190-200 degrees internal temp, and I'm guessing deep dish crust isn't far off that (similar to a butter pie crust). Smoke point of butter is 350, so shouldn't be approaching anywhere near that. Probably wouldn't grease my pan with butter, but as an ingredient shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1