_Ed_

Spring is springing... so Pork Belly it is

Well, after braving the rain last week, a small glimpse of sun prompted thoughts of imminent Spring, so I thought pork belly might be a good start. Overnight salted, then rubbed gently with a coffee / cinnamon / cumin rub, now quietly smoking with some oak and cherry at 235F. 2 hours in, four more to go...

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

• Like 5

Actually, I took the skin off this one... doesn't come out great on a low'n'slow. I tend to freeze skin until I have a decent amount for chicharones or to use in sausages or zampone. 

For those of you following the London weather updates, it has just started to hail. Yay spring!

• Like 1

Pulled it off the KK after 6 hours... bark came out really nicely, and I randomly shoved a couple of mushrooms on for a couple of hours because the mrs likes them. Served with some greens and the mushrooms. Can thoroughly recommend.

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

• Like 5

I just bought a pork belly from snake River Farms thinking  I'd make some bacon. But first I have to figure out how to do it LOL. I know it has to be cured and then smoked but should I cold smoke it? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Ed that Meal really looks good, maybe I should cut the the pork belly in half And use half for bacon and Cook the other half like you did

2 hours ago, _Ed_ said:

Actually, I took the skin off this one... doesn't come out great on a low'n'slow. I tend to freeze skin until I have a decent amount for chicharones or to use in sausages or zampone. 

For those of you following the London weather updates, it has just started to hail. Yay spring!

Ah ok.  I still wish I could get skin on to have some crispiness to it.   Your belly looks great!   

19 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

I just bought a pork belly from snake River Farms thinking  I'd make some bacon. But first I have to figure out how to do it LOL. I know it has to be cured and then smoked but should I cold smoke it? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Ed that Meal really looks good, maybe I should cut the the pork belly in half And use half for bacon and Cook the other half like you did

Ed you can cold smoke or hot smoke but I prefer to dry cure  then cold smoke.

Edited by Keith OctoForks

Bruce, I was going to do exactly that! But then I just wanted to make smoked pork belly, because the leftovers are amazing.

Bacon is genuinely one of the easiest things in the world to make. Ruhlman has a good piece on it: http://ruhlman.com/2016/04/bacon-time/ - whether you hot or cold smoke is up to you. I always cold smoke bacon, but that's mainly a cultural thing - I've noticed that all the bacon I have seen in the US is hot smoked. It's really a matter of preference.

Edited by _Ed_
clarity

30 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

I've done both dry and wet cures. Both work and both are easy. I've tried various recipes, but like the maple bacon recipe from Amazing Ribs the best. I've always hot smoked using the KK cold smoker and keeping the temp below 200 until the internal temp of the bacon is 150. Then wrap it in plastic and keep in the fridge overnight. Makes it easier to slice when well chilled. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Another option to consider Bruce if you have not done this before:   Confit the belly.   I have used several different recipes/guides but two of my favorites:

Thomas Keller's (from his Ad Hoc book):  http://leitesculinaria.com/83219/recipes-pork-belly-confit-keller.html

David Chang's:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Belly-Buns-240258

Due to the difficulty to source real lard as well as the cost considering how much you need to confit, I often use olive oil.  

Makes for a pretty incredible French Lardon Salad sub for bacon lardon!   

Dan's French Lardon Salad.jpg

• Like 3