cschaaf

Smashburger setup

Sorry, no food pics. Smashburgers go too quickly to fumble with the camera. ;)

I used a different setup this time and it worked great. I used the basked splitter, put in the lower grate, then put my KJ half-round CI skillet over the lump side of the basket. Dome temperature was up around 375 - 400.

I was able to work the whole cook without wearing a welding glove. 

IMG_0517.JPG

Edited by cschaaf
  • Like 3

Pretty much. You start with a ball of burger meat. Then, use your spatula and a heavy can to smash the ball on the griddle. You can make them as thin or thick as you'd like. The basic difference is that the edges aren't smoothed out, like a regular patty, so they get crispy. A tip - oil the bottom of the spatula first, so the meat doesn't stick to it and you get a good release after you smash it. 

• Like 2

Yep, what @tony bsaid!

We like ours simple and ultra smashed. Like this http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html

I use a flat spatula as the smasher and I push on the top of that with a bench scraper to smash the burger nice and thin. Then I use the bench scraper to make sure I get all of the crust on the meat and not left on the griddle.