MacKenzie

Bacon Bacon Bacon

Started the cure last Mon. Washed it out yesterday and let it rest overnight. This morning I am already to smoke, have to get this done as we are due a winter storm tomorrow. I hope it fizzles. This last weekend was miserable, bitter cold with high winds, -29C Sat. night and to add to the misery my internet went down about 5PM Fri and it was down until about noon today. Every few hours I had about 2 mins of service, but you had to be right at the pc to catch it. Needless to say I was looking forward to doing something fun this morning.:)

It looks pretty anemic but just wait. :) The KK is running around 210F and there are several pieces of wine barrel smoking wood on top of Maple-leaf lump.

Bacon on to Smoke.jpg

IT is now 147F. Time to remove it.:)

Bacon is Smoked.jpg

The flip side-

Flipped Bacon.jpg

Smoked Bacon.jpg

It is now resting in the fridge and I'll slice and package it tomorrow. One must never run out of breakfast bacon. ;)

Flip Side of Bacon.jpg

I could not wait until the morning so I sliced it up this evening. :) 

Bacon is Sliced.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 5

WOW Mac that bacon looks great.  I just took delivery of a 7.7 pound pork belly from snake River Farms and ordered all the curing and stuff I would need to make bacon from Amazon. When I gets here I'll take some pictures.

Do you slice your bacon and then freeze it? What internal temperature do you pull it out? This will be my first bacon hope it turns out good like yours 

15 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

WOW Mac that bacon looks great.  I just took delivery of a 7.7 pound pork belly from snake River Farms and ordered all the curing and stuff I would need to make bacon from Amazon. When I gets here I'll take some pictures.

Do you slice your bacon and then freeze it? What internal temperature do you pull it out? This will be my first bacon hope it turns out good like yours 

I look forward to hearing about your SRF pork belly. A bit pricey but I expect it is phenomenal.

Mackenzie, that bacon looks incredible and I bet it tastes even better. Spring is right around the corner; you're almost there.

• Like 1

Thanks, tinyfish. :) I sure hope so, last night's storm was kind of a bust, most of the snow melted thank goodness. :) 

I just heard that you are pretty much in the middle of winter yourself. :(  I think you were hit harder than we were.:( 

Edited by MacKenzie