MacKenzie

Bacon Bacon Bacon

Thanks for the kind thoughts, MacKenzie. It's pretty much dry on the streets, driveway and sidewalks, but hanging around on the deck and grass. Won't keep me from firing up the KK to do my corned beef and pastrami combo on St. Pat's Day! 

That bacon looks amazing. One of my holdups from trying it myself is that I don't have a slicer (and can't seem to justify the cost and kitchen space for one.) But, I like thick sliced bacon, so maybe I'll take the plunge, seeing as I have some pork belly pieces in the freezer.  

Yes, they do. And for as little as I'd use it, it's hard to justify the cost of a good one - and I wouldn't buy a cheap one (read too many reviews of how they suck - don't cut evenly and are a PITA to clean!) All I need for a reminder is to look over at my KitchenAid mixer, and all its attachments, that only get used a handful of times a year - like the sausage stuffer that I've NEVER used! 

OK, time to eat my words a little bit. The slicer that I had tagged in my Amazon Wishlist went on sale the other day and I took the bait - hook, line & sinker! It arrived yesterday, just in time to slice up the corned beef and pastrami that I made on St. Pat's day. Works really nice. But, I have to stash it in the brew room, as there's no place in the kitchen for it.

So now, no more excuses for not doing the bacon. I'm off to the freezer to grab a pack of pork belly and I've printed off Ruhlman's Bacon recipe. 

• Like 1

Reading all these posts, it looked awfully good, so I ordered a slab of pork belly at publix, for the first time ever, on friday.

Picked it up this PM, and it came as 2 square five pounds pieces, but trimmed and cut in slices 3/8 thick, looking like gorgeous bacon in creovac.

I know I can smoke it, but I will not be able to know when it reaches 147 degrees, and how should I cure it , since it is already cut?

Any ideas would help.

fanie, are you saying that it is already sliced? I have only cured 5 pound slabs, then smoked them and then sliced. Maybe you should consider doing what Dennis did with his slices. I use a thermometer to tell me when it has reached 145F. I don't know how else I would do that.

Fannie, I wish I could be of more help. I have experience with this situation but having said that if it was me I would put a few slices on the grill and cook them using low heat and see how it goes. Next time make sure the bellies are not presliced. Then do the whole curing process, etc.

This won't be a proper cure. You could try this and see if you like it. I wouldn't add too much salt unless you plan on washing it off before you cook it. If you add a lot of salt and don't wash it off your bacon is likely to be too salty when you eat it. This "green " bacon is not going to keep like properly cured bacon does.