Shuley

Corned beef question

Now that I know that I can get ahold of corned beef points for pretty cheap, I was thinking of smoking some this weekend. I'm wondering if the curing process will change anything about the cook? Plus I have never done just a point before so I'm unsure on what time to plan on. I'm thinking I will just start it earlier than I think I need too!

I soak my cured briskets to remove some of the saltyness, depending how strong the cure was will determine how long to soak it for. Your first point may be a little trial and error for cooking time and saltyness. 

Cures brisket is a delightful change to regular brisket. Its been a while since I did one, I have to change that.

• Like 1

Got one thawing out for St. Pats. Will soak for a day in water. Plan on cutting it in half - doing one part corned beef and the other as pastrami. I use a different rub that Primeats - its about equal parts fresh cracked black pepper (bigger pieces) and coriander seeds, with some granulated garlic tossed in, with CYM for binder. Cook is indirect, 250F, smoker pot of mesquite and post oak, until IT of 200F, just like a regular brisket. 

10 hours ago, tinyfish said:

I soak my cured briskets to remove some of the saltyness, depending how strong the cure was will determine how long to soak it for. Your first point may be a little trial and error for cooking time and saltyness. 

Cures brisket is a delightful change to regular brisket. Its been a while since I did one, I have to change that.

Like tiny, I let my corned briskets that I buy commercially soak for at least a day or so before I cook them on the KK.  I find the older I get the less I like really salty food.

I have done quite a few corned beef briskets on the KK. I soak them in beer, Guinness export works best, have used a belgian ( forget who's ) then I cook the veggies in the salty beer and put that all back together in a dutch oven to simmer on the KK after smoking the brisket on the kk

OK wait that makes no sense lol . so :

Soak brisket in non hoppy beer  . However long you have time for, 24 or less.

Rub brisket   with ( it changes every yr. :) Smoke brisket  for a few 3 hours.  

Cook veges, Potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, parsnips in half left over beer and home made chicken stock, bay leaf, pepper.

Combine all in bigased dutch oven and back on the still going KK, no lid, simmer till stock gets low about 2 hrs, refill with stock, lid on, dinner in 3 or so hours.

Thats about a day to do this and I change it up every year cuz it can always be improved :shock:, usually. most times. well we ate it anyway

Pics tomorrow as I'm starting this now.

Zo0

I just realized I did not in any way respond to the OP *facepalm*

And I cannot edit my original post *faceslap*

Points are the fattier bits of a brisket so if you corn it and smoke it you end up with pastrami. If you do something similar to what i posted above, you get more traditional american  Irish dinner.

Corned beef is not BBQ brisket as we know it  .

HTH

zo0