Syzygies

Pete Wells reviews Franklin Barbecue

Pete Wells, the New York Times restaurant critic, reviews Franklin Barbecue:

A MacGyver of Slow-Cooked Meats at Franklin Barbecue

Spoiler, he likes the brisket. This would be his second bong reference in a review; he can't be unaware of how widely quoted the first reference was:

At Thomas Keller’s Per Se, Slips and Stumbles

Per Se is his most recent but not most famous take-down; that would be Guy Fieri.

As Not Seen on TV

• Like 3

Wow! Guy sure does get slammed. And by the sound of it rightfully so!! I've ate at his Johnny Garlic’s restaurants years ago and wasn't impressed. If I remember correctly one shut down due to health / cleanliness concerns. Another time I tried one of his “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” recommendations while on business in Texas. Won't ever do that again. All in all I'm not a guy fan. I think he's found a false niche.    

• Like 1

Not really a Guy F. fan...................but did go to a Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives recommendation in Boston a few years ago with my daughter who was living there at the time.  Their claim to fame was lobster stuffed homemade ravioli.    Have to say it was excellent.  Brought a few dinners back to Syracuse.

Funny thing happened........while we were outside waiting in-line to get into the restaurant.  A pizza delivery guy drove up, handed a few pizza boxes into the restaurant kitchen window for the cooks.  I told the waiter that the pizza must be really good for the kitchen staff to be ordering out.  He must have said something to the cooks, because a few minutes later the waiter comes out of the kitchen with a single slice of pizza and sets the plate in front of me.  Can't remember if it was any good or not but enjoyed their sense of humor and fun attitude.  

I can understand ordering pizza delivery.  I owned a restaurant back during the 80s, hamburgers, franks, fries, onion rings, and grilled cheese.  Made a really good sandwich.  But .... you got so tired of eating the same thing every day!  We traded bags of burgers for seafood, stakes, pizzas, chicken etc. and we did it all the time.  

Even chateau briand gets old eventually.  I bet even the guys at Franklin's down in Austin get sick of brisket and will kill for a pizza.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 7:32 PM, Paul said:

Wow! Guy sure does get slammed. And by the sound of it rightfully so!! I've ate at his Johnny Garlic’s restaurants years ago and wasn't impressed. If I remember correctly one shut down due to health / cleanliness concerns. Another time I tried one of his “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” recommendations while on business in Texas. Won't ever do that again. All in all I'm not a guy fan. I think he's found a false niche.    

He's a smuck.   Read about what he did to the employees at his JG's in Sacramento.   He's a showman ... obviously ... and not much more.

While I watch Triple-D for the interesting places he visits, I don't watch any of his other shows. I think he's a bit of a D-bag personally. I have the Triple-D app on my phone, so I can check out places when I travel. I've tried 3 times to visit a place outside Versailles, KY and can never get into the place - parking lot stays full constantly. 

• Like 2

Does anyone watch Triple-D because of him?  I watch despite him.

I don't travel as much as I used to, but I used to use a TV Restaurants app. It would show you restaurants that had been on TV shows in your area. I was always amazed at how many were marked as Permanently Closed. Just shows how hard the restaurant  business is.

• Like 1