DennisLinkletter

New- Locking Gas Door Rods, in stock

Well, I started. I got one screw off each rod on the door. They came off quite easily, in fact. My sockets are too thick to go on top of the other ones - the nuts are right next to the rod. Will need an open-end box wrench (9/32"), but of course I don't have one that size in my toolbox. It wouldn't be a project without at least one trip to the hardware store! 

Murphys law mate got everything else but what you need

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Update: Got the 9/32" wrench and it worked like a charm. The whole process took less than 15 minutes. Followed Robert's advice - took the old rods off one at a time -replaced with the new one before doing the second one. A dab of blue LocTite on the threads and spin on the wing nuts. Easy, peasy! This puppy ain't going nowhere anytime soon! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 5698k said:

Hey Dennis, what about something similar for the main draft door? I very rarely open mine other than the vents, and that's to clean the ash that fallen in there blocking the door from sealing well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you using the solid sheet ash/heat deflector?  If so ash should not be able to reach the draft door frame..

Yes, I'm using the solid deflector, but over time, small amounts of ash make it to the door. It's a maintenance item for me to occasionally remove the door, clean the inside of the door and clean the frame itself with a wire brush.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 7:56 PM, 5698k said:

Yes, I'm using the solid deflector, but over time, small amounts of ash make it to the door. It's a maintenance item for me to occasionally remove the door, clean the inside of the door and clean the frame itself with a wire brush.

Do you have the curved side up on the heat shield?