ckreef

Japanese Knives with Custom Handles

Ben, a friend from the Guru  (Mewantkj on Kamado Guru) started making custom knife handles. In his original thread I joked about him making handles for my old crappy knives. Well one thing led to another,  the idea expanded and the Bistro now has 2 new Japanese knives with custom handles. 

NK1.thumb.jpg.cf5fe93aa13d32a9bbfdcb46862368b7.jpg

This first knife was part of the handle deal. I actually bought 2 of these and gave Ben one for his personal collection. 

Tojiro Shirogami Yanagi 270 mm (10.5")

White #2 core, softer iron outer layer. Right handed single bevel. 

Custom handle:

Ferrule/end cap - Wenge

Stripes - Mapple

Body - Red Palm 

NK3.thumb.jpg.99f28b5aed00df50cb4c561d7de4cde5.jpg

This second knife was a surprise knife for Mrs skreef. I wanted to get her something special for being such a good sport about this whole knife adventure. She knew she was getting a knife and picked out the wood for her custom handle, she just didn't know exactly what knife it was. 

Shiro Kamo R-2 (same as SG2) Gyuto 180 mm (7").

R-2 core. Damascus layered stainless in a matte finish. 

Custom handle:

Ferrule/end cap - Wenge

Stripes - Mapple 

Body - Cocobola 

NK2.thumb.jpg.0978f7b4bf9b6e27f875e8f7718a78f7.jpg

Fantastic additions to the knife board. Ben did an awesome job with the custom handles, it really makes the knives pop. He has lots of different woods to choose from. I actually have two more handles that I will post once I have them mounted to a knife. One of them is going on a old crappy knife to give it new life. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

Is he making a business of making knife handles?

Basically yes. He's perfecting his method, and his quality is going up with every run he makes. CKTG has placed an initial order with him. I talk to Ben daily about handles. I know he's got some kewl ideas in the pipeline and I can't wait to see them. 

As for the question I asked - that was meant for myself as to what knife to get next. I'm not done yet with this adventure. Whatever it is it will have a custom handle. Working with Ben on new ideas.