Garvinque

Math whizzes and Space nuts!

Looks like a good movie that I'd enjoy. NASA has long had the reputation of being somewhat homogeneous in their demographics. When I had a fellowship with NASA Marshall in the early '90's, I was somewhat surprised to see how false that was. By then it was no longer the case. NASA also had a number of hiring restrictions due to budget constraints, where the only exemptions were for women and minorities. My female grad school colleagues had no trouble being hired into NASA. For me, even though I had a fellowship, NASA remains the only organization that I never applied to, but was rejected anyway! Seriously, I never applied, but got a phone call from my NASA sponsor (now pretty high up the org chart) explaining that they'd tried, but found no back doors to sneak me through. I wound up working for an ethically challenged NASA contractor, and soon found NASA to be equally ethically challenged. I got out shortly after. The romantic view of NASA portrayed in the movies is a bit shy of reality, but I like these films anyway because sometimes its fun to believe in fairy tales.

• Like 2