Keith B

"Obsession" is home

Glad to see that Dennis' bot was kept at bay! LOL

Nice looking ribs, too! 

I have a crazy brew schedule coming up. After the Oktoberfest is in primary, going to try my hand at a kettle sour for the first time - a Flemish Red, ala Duchesse de Bourgogne, for a beer festival in mid-May. Then I need to get my Imperial Stout done for our club competition in July. And, then a Green Tea Belgian Golden Strong for NHC (HomeBrewCon) in June. Finally, at the beginning of May, we're doing a wort rally with a local brewery again. We're hoping the winner can qualify for the GABF Pro-Am in the Fall. Going to be totally brew'ed out by May! 

• Like 1

@tony b - it sounds from your post above that you're just about as obsessive as am I!  I'm obsessed with my KKs, my businesses, etc. as you are about KKs and brewing.  Back when I had hair that was gray,  I used to cook up a great mash and distill it in a glass bead packed column, do all kinds of reflux, kick it up to about 170-185 proof,  run it through an activated carbon filter, and use it for rocket fuel, among other things.  I haven't done that in a few years, but man was it good.

How about posting a few pics of your home brewing set-up?  I'd love to see that; I really would!

Glad to see that Dennis' bot was kept at bay! LOL
Nice looking ribs, too! 
I have a crazy brew schedule coming up. After the Oktoberfest is in primary, going to try my hand at a kettle sour for the first time - a Flemish Red, ala Duchesse de Bourgogne, for a beer festival in mid-May. Then I need to get my Imperial Stout done for our club competition in July. And, then a Green Tea Belgian Golden Strong for NHC (HomeBrewCon) in June. Finally, at the beginning of May, we're doing a wort rally with a local brewery again. We're hoping the winner can qualify for the GABF Pro-Am in the Fall. Going to be totally brew'ed out by May! 

Man, you will be busy! I have done a few kettle soured gose's using lacto cultures grown up from probiotic capsules. The first one I did was awful due to the fact that I did not purge the headspace in the kettle with co2 prior to sealing it with plastic wrap. It smelled like vomit. That batch went over the back fence. Since the first one, I have rebrewed the gose four times without issue. Make sure you purge with co2 prior to sealing it and minimize the stirring of the wort as you will want as little oxygen as possible. The Duchesse is one of our favorite beers. My wife and I love sours.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

[mention=975]tony b[/mention] - it sounds from your post above that you're just about as obsessive as am I!  I'm obsessed with my KKs, my businesses, etc. as you are about KKs and brewing.  Back when I had hair that was gray,  I used to cook up a great mash and distill it in a glass bead packed column, do all kinds of reflux, kick it up to about 170-185 proof,  run it through an activated carbon filter, and use it for rocket fuel, among other things.  I haven't done that in a few years, but man was it good.
How about posting a few pics of your home brewing set-up?  I'd love to see that; I really would!

CC, here is my set up.

8673a041a0fd1b43a2e922b8c4893696.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 3/31/2017 at 5:04 PM, tony b said:

:drinkers:

Just kegged my Witbier this afternoon. Hit the homebrew supply store for the stuff to make my Oktoberfest. A little late this year, but hope to brew it Sunday. 

Yea I would say a bit late. Shouldn't you be brewing a summer ale this time of the year? Although where I'm posting this from it's  going to get into the low 80's today. 

Ken, I'm not nearly that high tech. But, I have a nice arrangement in the basement with a dedicated burner & vent hood, a nice deep commercial sink for cleaning and lots of nice stainless table tops. 

58e152a7af090_003(5).thumb.JPG.405b4ea7e33a489484b1d93d7e362679.JPG

58e1531d0a3fe_004(3).thumb.JPG.88c339791208274dfcb5f416dc98691b.JPG

I'm in the middle of brewing the Oktoberfest right now. The boil is just about done. So, back to the brew room to finish up. 

• Like 2

When I retired, this is one of my presents to myself. I had always wanted a dedicated space to brew so I didn't have to haul all the stuff in and out of the basement up to the kitchen on brew days.

Yes, Ken, it's a nice red, but I actually re-purposed the box to stash some nice beers for short-term aging. But, what you can't see for that box is the stash of good Bourbons that I brought back from last year's KY Bourbon Trail vacation! My bar is overflowing, so I'm having to use some real estate in the brew room to store it! Damn, what a major problem to have - LOL!

• Like 1