Shuley

One of my favorites- Frank's chicken. And a little advice needed.

First for the delicious part. I had chicken thighs marinating in franks red hot. Then threw them in the basket. 9ada41aabc607e3d0e6cd5d669b843c7.jpg

Then I was thrilled that the basket had enough clearance that I could have the lower grate in place for a grilled avocado be581dadffd284adbd31d56da6495ac1.jpg

I gotta work on my timing for grilling avocados on the lower grate- but I'll figure it out. Now here comes the problem

c6a572fe2ca029339a3901e486cfb95a.jpg

I put the thighs on the lower grate and then put some more red hot on so it would be on a little thicker. But I couldn't get the dang spit out of my grill. This has happened on multiple occasions, where I am struggling to get the basket out. It seems that the rod (which I have made as small a possible). Has enough clearance to fit in the grill, but once in and heated the metal must expand by a tiny amount (about a mm or 2). Which makes it very difficult to get out. In previous instances, it took me a few minutes, this time it took 15 minutes. I was pushing and pulling and if a roast had been on, it would have been impossible to remove and would have ruined dinner. However, I could open this basket and remove the chicken thighs as needed. Has anyone cut the rod down/ground it down?

• Like 1

Shuley, I also have the same problem. I have only had it on the 16inch KK. I have not used the spit rod on the larger KK yet. I can't help with the solution as I have not figured out why it is happening but just about when I think I am not going to get the rod out I get  more determined and it does let loose and I am able to get it out. Yes, I have shortened my rod by grinding a little off the end but just do it little by little as you can't put it back on once you've ground it off. ;)

I usually take the motor off and give the rod a few spins in the opposite direction. Then, with a little effort, it will come out. It's odd; I don't think the rod is unscrewing - and if it is, it's not enough to get bound up - but for some reason this seems to help me get it out.

I usually take the motor off and give the rod a few spins in the opposite direction. Then, with a little effort, it will come out. It's odd; I don't think the rod is unscrewing - and if it is, it's not enough to get bound up - but for some reason this seems to help me get it out.

I will give this a try my next rotisserie cook. I'd rather not try to make any modifications. Thanks!

Shuley, I also have the same problem. I have only had it on the 16inch KK. I have not used the spit rod on the larger KK yet. I can't help with the solution as I have not figured out why it is happening but just about when I think I am not going to get the rod out I get  more determined and it does let loose and I am able to get it out. Yes, I have shortened my rod by grinding a little off the end but just do it little by little as you can't put it back on once you've ground it off.

I am going to see if the twisting in the opposite direction helps any. If not, I may have to resort to some grinding which could be terrible as I am not in any way mechanically inclined.

This seemed to work tonight. But only after I spun it and wrestled with it many times. How many times do you think you spin it?

10 hours ago, Shuley said:

This seemed to work tonight. But only after I spun it and wrestled with it many times. How many times do you think you spin it?

I've never counted, maybe 5 or 6 times? If it doesn't come out, I spin it a few more times. It still doesn't come out easily, but it comes out.