Shuley

The great steak experiment

13 minutes ago, ckreef said:

That is so true about the grocery store seafood counter, especially shrimp. Almost all of it is put out in the morning still frozen. That's fine if you're going to take it home and cook it that evening. Otherwise you're better off asking for some still frozen from the back freezers. 

Exactly! A friend worked in a large west coast supermarket. He said when they ran out of 'fresh' shrimp they would just go to the frozen section and grab a bag to add to the fresh. No one ever knew the difference.

The sear grate is the upper grate (the one with legs) turned upside down and place directly on top of the charcoal basket handles. The lower grate is the one with the opening at the front and has it's own ledge in the side wall and sits a few inches above the charcoal basket. 

Thanks. I have never used the upper grate like that before. That seems like a great way to get an even better (and quicker) sear on unfrozen steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is so true about the grocery store seafood counter, especially shrimp. Almost all of it is put out in the morning still frozen. That's fine if you're going to take it home and cook it that evening. Otherwise you're better off asking for some still frozen from the back freezers. 

I typically do this- usually it is the first thing I cook from my grocery run. However, this weekend I picked up some halibut on sale, and I asked for some frozen pieces. The man at the butcher counter told me they had never been frozen so they had no frozen halibut. I vacuum sealed it and froze it and I'm hoping it is ok. However I didn't really believe him..... no where near me can you catch halibut.