mguerra

Franklin Corned Beef

My wife bought a hunk of corned beef at the grocer and the cooking instructions intrigued me. There were several sets of cooking instructions on the label and I immediately went to the smoking instructions. 

" Start a fire and add your preferred smoke wood, set the fire to 275º. Rinse and pat dry the corned beef and add your rub of choice. Put it on the fire and cook to an internal temperature of 165º. Remove the meat from the fire and wrap it in foil, then return to the fire. Cook for about an hour longer or until an internal temperature of 195º."

It seems a pretty standard BBQ competition, and/ or Franklin technique, (absent the butcher paper) has made its way to the masses via the grocery store.

• Like 2

@mguerra - everyone wants to be or believe they're the next Aaron Franklin and meat packers are sure gonna help the huddled masses get there.  

Live cooked over a thousand briskets in my life.  I THINK I'm pretty dadgummed good.  I KNOW I couldn't carry water for Franklin.  And I don't care if if foil, paper, or leave it unwrapped, Franklin knows something I don't.  But I'm still learning.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paul said:

I thought smoked corned beef was pastrami. The times I've made it I soaked the corned beef for 3 days in clean, cold tap water changed a couple times a day.

Did you coat the soaked brisket in coarse black pepper & crushed coriander seeds before smoking? That's pastrami! 

• Like 1