Garvinque

RIP Don Rickles

Rickels was Robin Williams before Williams.  HE was one of the best improv comedians I ever saw.  I met him on a number of occasions in Vegas.  He was a really sweet man in spite of his stage persona.  At the time I was a budding stand up wanna be.  He insisted that I give him some of my schtick.  I gave him about 2 minutes, not wanting to take up very much of his time.  He graciously told me to keep going.  All told I gave him 5-6 minutes and he laughed.  He told me I had chops and that I could do it, but was I sure I wanted to do standup?  He was truly a funny, funny, sweet man.  Thanks be that I can still see him on YouTube.  The world needs more stand up guys like him. HE left this world a better place.  I will miss him.  :-(

• Like 4

7 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

Rickels was Robin Williams before Williams.  HE was one of the best improv comedians I ever saw.  I met him on a number of occasions in Vegas.  He was a really sweet man in spite of his stage persona.  At the time I was a budding stand up wanna be.  He insisted that I give him some of my schtick.  I gave him about 2 minutes, not wanting to take up very much of his time.  He graciously told me to keep going.  All told I gave him 5-6 minutes and he laughed.  He told me I had chops and that I could do it, but was I sure I wanted to do standup?  He was truly a funny, funny, sweet man.  Thanks be that I can still see him on YouTube.  The world needs more stand up guys like him. HE left this world a better place.  I will miss him.  :-(

Great story. 

I grew up watching him and I loved watching the reaction of the people he was working with. They could barely keep a straight face because they knew something was coming but didn't know what it would be.

• Like 2