MacKenzie

Philips Air Fryer

Another experiment today. I bought a bag of crispy frozen fries and a bag of onion rings. I normally do not buy these things as I have never liked them but I thought perhaps the air fryer might work.This was just a test cook and I put the fries and onion rings in at the same time and still frozen. Set the fryer for 400F for 8 mins. Shook them a about 3 times and then added 2 more mins to the cook time bringing that to a total of 10 mins. at 400 F and no added fat.

Here they are-

58f933d120aa1_FriesandOnionRings.thumb.jpg.3687c7c0fe22fa1fa4181eea163241b4.jpg

They were very good and I can see that I'll be visiting the frozen food section more often. Both were crispy and tasty as hard as that maybe to believe. :) 

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 2

Well, it's here. :smt041

I just par-boiled 2 russets in heavily salted water to cut into wedges as the 1st test cook in the new fryer. Cooling now before slicing. Will spray them up with oil and seasoning salt and into the fryer for supper. Your post has given me a thought. I think that I have hoarded away a bag of frozen hush puppies that might get tossed in, too.  

:smt046

Did my first batches in the fryer. Followed your advice and split it in two, so not crowd things. Batch #1 was some potato wedges and hushpuppies. 

58fbd757b690b_AirFryer.thumb.jpg.4d79823cb5b496baec8179f7b9e32068.jpg

Hush puppies went in frozen and were nice and crispy. The wedges had been parboiled whole, then sliced. They weren't as crispy, even though they had good color. So, Batch #2 was the rest of the wedges and i upped the time by another 3 minutes (and the fryer was already hot). They were better, but still not as crisp as I'd have liked. I think that I needed a bit more oil on them. I had lightly sprayed them with canola. Next time, I might try tossing them in a bowl with a splash of oil to get more on them. 

And, my other challenge - where to store the damned thing! It's bigger than I was expecting, so it's not going to fit in the space that I had planned under the counter. 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

The wedges look good from here.  I need to try those. I think I saw a package of frozen ones at the store the other day and I bet they would be good too. I did another grilled cheese with Canadian bacon this evening and it was certainly tasty, the bread comes out crisp and I'm liking that a lot.

I was very lucky with the storage, I made a space and had about 1/4 inch to space. I sure didn't want to store it in the basement or the counter, no room there. :) 

Looking to get an air fryer.. While on Amazon I noticed the Tefal ActiFry ,, It has arms that constantly stir your food which sounds like an awesome feature... I've seen how the Phillips needs constant turning or it cooks unevenly. Is this an issue?
Did anybody research the Tefal ActiFry ?

It seems the Philips always gets nods in the reviews but the one video comparing cooking on both had the Tefal ActiFry fries better 4-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su3sYpYbw_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZARjJPcbL0c&t=11s

I'm thinking I like the quality of the Phillips but LOVE the self stir feature of Tefal

Whatcha all think?

I am new to air frying and went with the latest Philips series, the Avance line and so far I am very pleased with it and love the cord storage. It neatly wraps around and stays in place. This model has some presets and temperature control in increments of 25, It also has a timer in minute increment up to 60 mins. Extremely easy to use the controls and you can change the temp and time part way through the cook if you wish.

58fc9c78c4b7b_CordStorage.thumb.jpg.095d9447471d9d098f01218457984d9f.jpg

A couple of days ago I was speaking with someone who started out with the Tefal but after 3 months gave it to her son and bought the Philips because she hated having that post in the middle. She the self-stiring mechanism did break up some of the food. I would think if I did frozen onion rings in the Tefel that some of the batter would be knocked off. I have done grilled cheese a couple of times and I'm not sure how that would go unless the Tefal post can be totally removed.

The wire grate in the bottom of the Philips keeps food up off the floor so that the air can get around the food and I have not had any problem cleaning it. You do have to shake it every few mins. My home fries take about 10-12 mins. so staying put is not a problem. The baked potato took around 50 mins. and I flipped it once, at the 30 min. mark. It was the best baked potato I've had in a very long time.

The basket will go in the dishwasher but so far I've only had to wipe it out with a damp cloth.

The one problem I have is flipping the grilled cheese sandwich. The basket is hot and not huge so I need to be careful and figure out a good method. 

I did think whoever did the comparison video between Tefal and Philips had an agenda and it wasn't to make a fair comparison.

NOTE: I have not done huge amounts in my air fryer so I can't speak on cooking large amounts.