Keith B

2nd cook on Obsession, reverse seared tri-tip

I reverse seared a 36 oz tri-tip last night that  I got from Harter House Meats. I first rubbed it with EVOO then Dizzy Pigs Cow Lick Steak. I used the cold smoker with pecan chips and the smoke flavor was pronounced but not overpowering. I really like this setup as I can add wood without opening the lid. I cooked it at 230 to an IT of 125. Then pulled the tri-tip and opened the vents to get to searing temps. Once the fire was blazing, I seared on the bottom grate.

9317b6efc68269b20d5401dac51cfa04.jpg

ddbef0fcd4319a3c7c41a65a7b817e36.jpg

d4f4d0ac32d76a70845d270c3248fc5d.jpg

6fb0678f7c57e755d35173f4402011a9.jpg

6c75c5b88b19b1f3d0a757cb795c11f7.jpg

924438a3f6aeb5fead7946809d13d108.jpg

Edited by Keith B
  • Like 4

I'm still struggling keeping my cold smoker lit. I've even tried Dennis' suggestion to light a small charcoal piece and drop it on top of the chips just above the air tube, then fill the cylinder the rest of the way with chips. It went out after about 15 minutes. I end up babysitting the damned thing and relighting it through the side holes with my MAPP torch about every 10 -15 minutes. 

Any tips, Keith, would be appreciated.

I'm still struggling keeping my cold smoker lit. I've even tried Dennis' suggestion to light a small charcoal piece and drop it on top of the chips just above the air tube, then fill the cylinder the rest of the way with chips. It went out after about 15 minutes. I end up babysitting the damned thing and relighting it through the side holes with my MAPP torch about every 10 -15 minutes. 
Any tips, Keith, would be appreciated.

Hi Tony, I went with Dennis's suggestion and filled the bottom up to the tube with medium chips from Fruita wood. They were much smaller than I expected. I then dropped in a golf ball sized piece of lump then filled to the top with the wood chips. I then fired up my torch and lit the piece of lump through the holes on each side til it was smoking good. It had burned all the way down when I checked it this morning. I am not sure how much was left in it when I pulled off of the KK. I was ready for dinner by then.

Hope that helps.

Keith

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The last time that I used the cold smoker was for my bacon. I have to admit that it was a fairly windy day, so that might have had a part in it. I did use the small piece of lump, just like you said, and my chips are from Fruita as well. I lit the charcoal outside the smoker and made sure that it was going well, then dropped it in the tube on top of the chips. Then covered the charcoal with more chips up to the top of the tube. I've only had one experience similar to yours and it was my first. I let the smoker run overnight and when I woke up in the morning, it was empty. So, I thought "woo, hoo" this thing is the schniz! Unfortunately, I have yet to repeat that experience in multiple attempts. I was thinking about shifting from wood chips to pellets???

The last time that I used the cold smoker was for my bacon. I have to admit that it was a fairly windy day, so that might have had a part in it. I did use the small piece of lump, just like you said, and my chips are from Fruita as well. I lit the charcoal outside the smoker and made sure that it was going well, then dropped it in the tube on top of the chips. Then covered the charcoal with more chips up to the top of the tube. I've only had one experience similar to yours and it was my first. I let the smoker run overnight and when I woke up in the morning, it was empty. So, I thought "woo, hoo" this thing is the schniz! Unfortunately, I have yet to repeat that experience in multiple attempts. I was thinking about shifting from wood chips to pellets???

Tony,
What size chips did you order from Fruita? Mine are the medium.

I have done a lot of cold smoking with the A-M aze-N tube using pellets and those things burn a long tome. Next smoke I may try mixing pellets and chips.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On 4/11/2017 at 0:34 PM, tony b said:

I think that mine are Coarse, probably should have gone with Medium. But, the last time I used the smoker, I did hand sort through the pieces to remove or break up the bigger ones. Still thinking pellets is the way to go. 

I've tried pellets and they really gunk up the inside of the induction tube. 

I've been experimenting a bit to find best practice as well. So far, my best results come from laying that bed of chips to just above the induction tube, adding a small piece of charcoal, then dropping a lit Rutland starter in there. Let that go for 5-10 minutes with the lid off, then top it off. 

On 4/13/2017 at 7:43 AM, HalfSmoke said:

I've tried pellets and they really gunk up the inside of the induction tube. 

I've been experimenting a bit to find best practice as well. So far, my best results come from laying that bed of chips to just above the induction tube, adding a small piece of charcoal, then dropping a lit Rutland starter in there. Let that go for 5-10 minutes with the lid off, then top it off. 

Jeff,

What kind of pellets do you use?  I have been using the A-Maze-N products pellets with their smoking tubes for cold smoking cheeses and salmon.  Their website says that the pellets are 100% flavor wood with no binders or fillers.  I have only had some ash left behind much like I would expect with wood chips.  I wonder if different kinds of pellets use different binders that might increase the gunk.  I am going to try the A-Maze-N pellets in the KK CS this weekend.  I will report back with any issues.

Edited by Keith B

25 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Jeff,

What kind of pellets do you use?  I have been using the A-Maze-N products pellets with their smoking tubes for cold smoking cheeses and salmon.  Their website says that the pellets are 100% flavor wood with no binders or fillers.  I have only had some ash left behind much like I would expect with wood chips.  I wonder if different kinds of pellets use different binders that might increase the gunk.  I am going to try the A-Maze-N pellets in the KK CS this weekend.  I will report back with any issues.

I'm pretty sure it was the A-Maz-N pellets pitmasters blend, but could be wrong. I had a bag of some off-brand pellets laying around too. Been awhile since I tried pellets, so definitely interested in your report. Always loved how they burned in the AMNTS. Very consistent. 

I have done cheese with the pitmasters blend and found the smoke flavor to be very strong.  I have also used pecan and alder pellets and the alder smoked cheese was just about perfect.  I am doing another tri-tip on Saturday.  I will probably fill up to the induction tube with chips, then throw in a rutland starter with some pellets, let that get burning and then top off with pellets.  We shall see how it goes.