Pequod

Biltmore OctoForks?

Isn't that place amazing! The gardens alone are incredible. Did you go to the winery?

Plus, lots of good breweries in the area, too - Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, and Oskar Blue; plus, the local spot - Wicked Weed. My favorite restaurant is Curate - Spanish tapas.

Hope you had a nice visit. I love Asheville. I grew up just south of there in Greenville, SC. 

6 minutes ago, tony b said:

Isn't that place amazing! The gardens alone are incredible. Did you go to the winery?

Plus, lots of good breweries in the area, too - Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, and Oskar Blue; plus, the local spot - Wicked Weed. My favorite restaurant is Curate - Spanish tapas.

Hope you had a nice visit. I love Asheville. I grew up just south of there in Greenville, SC. 

Yes it is, and yes we did go to the winery. Bought three bottles. B) The wines are actually pretty good and not outrageously priced.  

That has to be the nicest home/estate I have ever seen.  Totally self sustaining and not garish in any sense of the word.  I couldn't resist a selfie :-)

Main Gate

P4290493.JPG

Standing in the middle of the lawn looking away from the home toward the greenhouse on top of the hill

fullsizeoutput_24f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_370.jpeg

Looking toward the home

fullsizeoutput_8da.jpeg

Me...

This place makes Hearst Castle look like a shelter for the empoverished.

Edited by FotonDrv
  • Like 1

And the furnishing inside are just as opulent. First time I went there as a 6 year old, I was fascinated by all the bearskin rugs, with the heads on,  on the floors. And, in the library, on the second floor (yes, the library is 2 floors high - or was it 3??), you can actually walk through a tunnel in the fireplace chimney. I thought that was kewl, too.

6 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Stunning looking place

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

It indeed is amazing, but I missed the built-in BBQ, probably to busy drooling over everything else.  If that entire place had been built where W.R. Hearst built his castle in San Simeon I would say it would have been absolutely perfect.  I would miss the ocean...