Curly

Bear

I was at my brothers house in Fla for thanksgiving. He goes to Alaska to hunt a lot and always has plenty of red meat in his freezer of all sorts of large mammals....because they can't cook a lick :D

So I have some bear meat and deer to cook. I've never eaten bear, so I've found a few websites that have a lot of different ways to cook it. Any suggestions?

Whatever you do, cook it to at least 140* or preferably 145 cause bear meat is FULL of Trichinella. Some of the worst trichinosis outbreaks reported by the CDC are family gettogethers with some yayhoo cooking the bar he shot.

*IIRC, 138 is the temp that kills it... but DON'T take my word for it BAD disease to get.

Whatever you do, cook it to at least 140* or preferably 145 cause bear meat is FULL of Trichinella. Some of the worst trichinosis outbreaks reported by the CDC are family gettogethers with some yayhoo cooking the bar he shot.

*IIRC, 138 is the temp that kills it... but DON'T take my word for it BAD disease to get.

What that hell is bar? :shock: Something new we gotta look out for? :lol:

-=Jasen=-

bury it in chicken soup...put a lot of salt and pepper on it and cook in crockpot

That sounds like the object is to hide the meat and whatever flavor it may bring :? Kind of like "We have this bear, and we are going to eat it so we can survive the winter. It may be nasty stuff, but the protein will keep us alive." :lol:

Exactly why I stick to conventional barnyard animals! :D

You are a braver man than I, Curly. I think living in that log-cabin out in the woods has brought out the call of the wild in you :P

bury it in chicken soup...put a lot of salt and pepper on it and cook in crockpot

That sounds like the object is to hide the meat and whatever flavor it may bring :? Kind of like "We have this bear, and we are going to eat it so we can survive the winter. It may be nasty stuff, but the protein will keep us alive." :lol:

Exactly why I stick to conventional barnyard animals! :D

You are a braver man than I, Curly. I think living in that log-cabin out in the woods has brought out the call of the wild in you :P

I think that's what they do cause they don't have a ceramic cooker :D

I'll let you know how it tastes :D

Firemonkey writes:

You are a braver man than I, Curly. I think living in that log-cabin out in the woods has brought out the call of the wild in you

I think the wife has something to do with it! :lol::lol:

She's like a bear, only hairyer (hairier...hmmmm, is that a word, neither looks right )

By the way Sam, what's that extra little thing hanging off your post? :shock: DJ messin aroung again :cry: