Sanny

Rookie mistake - backdraft

Wasn't it Porkchop who had that video or gif of a backdraft?  That was a good lesson video.  

Ugh.  COMPLETE rookie mistake.  I confess, I did it.

Can't you tell by the singed eyebrows, missing lashes, and strangely short bangs?  And blotchy forearm hairs?  Yah, I thought you could.  Ugh.  I had the cooker closed to store the heat, rather than just burn hot.  I was planning a pizza cook, so wanted the thermal mass, or whatever.  Anyway, lost my mind and OPENED the cooker without burping or opening vents first.  DO NOT do that.  NO NO.  

WHOOSH!!  Well, you know how it goes.  Fortunately, I can laugh, because I wasn't really hurt.  My polar fleece shirt got a bit melted (not soft anymore), and I singed some facial hair.  Otherwise shamefaced, but fine.

What's your method to burp the cooker?  Do you open the lid a bit to let air in?  Open the vents?  What?

2 hours ago, 5698k said:

It's called burping. Open the lid a bit to allow air in and equalize. I suppose opening the vents would do the same thing, I'm guessing you'd want to open the top first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BINGO! Open the top vent first to exhaust the combustible gasses. Never melted anything, but did singe the hair off my right arm on the old POSK once. Only other time I've done it was on a BGE at a friends house. That one was a near miss for sure.

6 hours ago, Sanny said:

Wasn't it Porkchop who had that video or gif of a backdraft?  That was a good lesson video

Wasn't it posted on the old POSK Forum? I remember he rigged it up with pulleys and rope to open the lid so he was at a safe distance when he filmed it. It was impressive!

The Naked Whiz has a great post on it, too. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Wasn't it posted on the old POSK Forum? I remember he rigged it up with pulleys and rope to open the lid so he was at a safe distance when he filmed it. It was impressive!

The Naked Whiz has a great post on it, too. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

That's the one.  Pulleys, dim lighting, dramatic explosions.  POOF!!  

I usually just lift an inch or two, let the cooker get the flames out of its system, and then open.  As I said, rookie mistake.  I did not use it much last year, so am/was way out of practice.