churchi

First Go At Pork Ribs KK32

Hi All,

Ok so tomorrow i will be attempting my first rack of pork ribs on my KK.

I have read many different ways to do these and i was wondering what is everyone's favourite way to do them on the KK?

- Do you cook them naked? (no wrap)
- Do you wrap them at a certain time? In either foil or butchers paper?
- Should i spritz? or is it not required?
- Temp to cook them at?
- To use the cold smoker or not?
- Any other suggestions?

I was thinking of doing them naked for the whole cook. Putting a rub on them and cooking them for enough time to pass the bend and tooth pick test. So thinking of cooking around the 270F mark to they dont take all day.

Just wondering what success everyone has had and if you can point me in the right direction for the first cook of pork ribs tomorrow.

Cheers.

@churchi - I never wrap ribs, butts, briskets, etc.  Never found the need to wrap, especially in foil.  All my cooks come out with great bark and very moist.  

Spritzing is a carry over from cooking in drafty kettles or stick burners.  No need to spritz when you have a KK doing the cooking.

I cook my ribs at 225F until they are done.  Others here will "turbo cook" the ribs/brisket/butt at something between 250 and 275-300.  No big deal; either way works fine.  I generally cook St. Louis cut spare ribs (as differentiated from Baby Backs).  St Louis cut will take about 5-6 hours (at 225)  to get to where they pass the "Bend Test".  That means that you pick up the ribs by sliding a pair of tongs under one end until you are about half way .  Close the tongs and pick up the rack of ribs.  The rack will bend mostly in half and the bark will crack and show some of the meat.

Relax.  You seem to have a viable plan to put a feast on the table.  I'll bet you have absolutely no problems with your cook!  You're going to do just fine!

2 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

I like to run naked at 250-275. 

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

Is that MPH or KPH? :)

:smt046

Here's the bend test for doneness.

bend_test.jpg.a7dd187a792d8ab779f1c461cc420ff3.jpg

I'm in the 275F camp, dry rub only, naked, for ribs. No foil/butcher paper or spritzing needed - IMHO.

• Like 1

:smt046
Here's the bend test for doneness.
bend_test.jpg.a7dd187a792d8ab779f1c461cc420ff3.jpg
I'm in the 275F camp, dry rub only, naked, for ribs. No foil/butcher paper or spritzing needed - IMHO.

I prefer 250f dry rub only and no wrapping. I don't bother opening the grill until 4 hours in. Then I check every 30 minutes for doneness with the bend test.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk