Pequod

Got Spun

I know we have some Dizzy Pig fans here, so took one for the team and shlepped it over to the new Dizzy Pig World HQ today, which is 11 miles from my house as the crow flies, or 30 minutes drive time. Mad Max of turkey fame greeted me at the door and proudly showed off the new space, which is immense relative to the old. They now have areas in the showroom for various BBQ items, many of which are on my list of preferred brands: the entire Dizzy Pig line (of course), Blues Hog, Fruita Wood in bulk, Fogo and Rockwood charcoals, Thermoworks, Yeti, and a complete line of products associated with some oddly egg shaped green grills. Really happy to find a ready supply of Fruita. Yeah, I know they ship for free, but it's nice to be able to buy just what you'll need and not store a bunch of wood.

Today was buy four get Mad Max free day, so replenished some of my go tos and picked up some Mole to boot. That mole is pretty awesome. Dreaming up some plans for that. Here's today's haul. 

IMG_2422.thumb.JPG.241a7f84c59d0c22f9523c4ec6789178.JPG

• Like 5

Yeah, I was happy to find some post oak without having to buy a yuge amount. They had some other interesting woods I'd like to try in small quantities.

They had a brisket class going on while I was there too. Very rainy, so was glad to see they have a covered porch area for cooking events. 

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

Just scored the Mole myself, but haven't tried it yet. Hope to do some chicken leg quarters with it soon.

I've used both the post oak and red oak from Fruita. Post oak for briskets and red oak for Santa Maria tri-tips. Red oak seems to burn hotter, but the flavor profiles are about the same in the rare times I've burned the post oak solo, i almost always mix it with some fruit wood in the smoker pot.