Pequod

OctoForked Chicken Shawarma

I'm expecting around 30 guests for my Make Memorial Day Great Again! party, and chicken shawarma is going to be on the menu. Decided I needed a test cook since I'll be changing things up a bit. For one, I'll be spinning it with OctoForks to help me max the capacity.

Here's a pic of how I'm suspending the skewers between the forks, using the slot and holding in place with the bolts.

IMG_2425.thumb.JPG.5c92c8dcdde952f5fdda72daa92ed337.JPG

I'm using two pounds of chicken thighs for this test cook, with one pound on each skewer. I could easily get over two pounds on each skewer and have two more forks, so can readily spin eight pounds of shawarma on four skewers. The chicken marinated overnight in olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, kosher salt and World Spices Shawarma Blend. Noticed this blend has all the same ingredients I normally use and a few other goodies, plus World Spices stuff is ultra fresh. The bag was dated the day I ordered it. 

IMG_2427.thumb.JPG.95d5b2d979e3eb790f7d36bb200ade27.JPG

Gotta have fresh pita. Silly not to. Would have griddled these on my other KK, but nasty weather today. I cheated with a cast iron griddle on the stove.

IMG_2429.thumb.JPG.03574aaef853e29f3de9ead85cf2e60b.JPG

IMG_2430.thumb.JPG.f835918990114be5243eb68e0ea2bf5f.JPG

After 1-1/2 hours of spinning, looking good.

Off the skewers and chopped.

IMG_2437.thumb.JPG.8eb05c86ac854c1dc58398feaf8f46fc.JPG

IMG_2438.thumb.JPG.2101325634373379999fcb77927caeb2.JPG

Plated. Topped with cucumber, tomato, red onion, feta, and Donair sauce. Delicious! These will truly Make Memorial Day Great Again!

IMG_2439.thumb.JPG.96ed5978e98a2f0cf80aeb1c998b6a11.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Steve M said:

Looks awesome. I lol'd at your concerns with capacity though. There's always the 42"

My BB32 will be chock full of beef plate ribs and pork butts, so the 23 will be spinning as much shawarma as I can cram in there on the forks. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DennisLinkletter said:

You are killing me.. Looks soo tasty.

I know you're a World Spices fan -- found them because of your recommendations here...I'm normally a Penzey's guy. Give the Shawarma Blend a try. Seriously great stuff. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Keith OctoForks said:

Wow this is seriously impressive!    I'm going to have to step out of my comfort zone and try some shawrma like this.   The bread looks sooo good too! 

I love how you utilized the skewer between the bolts like that!   Bravo bravo... I'd imagine you'll have two sets going on Memorial Day

That's the plan. Two sets crammed full of shawarma. Gonna be seriously impressive. This was just a dry run. B)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

I know you're a World Spices fan -- found them because of your recommendations here...I'm normally a Penzey's guy. Give the Shawarma Blend a try. Seriously great stuff. 

I'm a HUGE (make that YUGE!) Penzey's fan. But, given all the kudo's that World Spices gets, might have to dip my toes in that pool, too! 

6 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

I now have a mail consolidator that I ship items to and they hold and rebox them and send them out. So I can get lots of small items sent together.  Because of this I now send one box per month from the states and always have a few items from World Spice..  Just ordered the Shawarma Spice.. I'm guessing that's what you ordered.. Could not find Shawarma Blend.. 

8 minutes ago, DennisLinkletter said:

I now have a mail consolidator that I ship items to and they hold and rebox them and send them out. So I can get lots of small items sent together.  Because of this I now send one box per month from the states and always have a few items from World Spice..  Just ordered the Shawarma Spice.. I'm guessing that's what you ordered.. Could not find Shawarma Blend.. 

Errr...yes, that's it. It's listed under the blends, but it is labeled "Shawarma Spice".