Pequod

Yam Neua (Thai Beef Salad)

My 17 year old daughter returned from China last week and has been craving Asian food since. Out for sushi Friday night. Tonight it was Yam Neua. This month's issue of Milk Street featured a recipe for Yam Neua, so here we go.

Start by thinly slicing a shallot and marinate in freshly squeezed lime juice. 

IMG_2444.thumb.JPG.c95b157d562569641404d486d7848a1b.JPG

I rubbed the skirt steak with a blend of kosher salt, white pepper, and brown sugar. Idea is to get a nice char while keeping the inside medium rare. High heat, low grate, and a bit of sugar are the keys. Here we are charring the outside. Pardon the somewhat gratuitous video, but some folks at Amazing Ribs have asked for more videos of the KK's in action. Must keep the fans happy.

Resting. The char is perfect.

IMG_2453.thumb.JPG.d8d28f0f7a40ef5ee2844caa75e92684.JPG

And we nailed the medium rare.

IMG_2454.thumb.JPG.4b02e27793230e50227cd634f4f053a8.JPG

Add fish sauce, red pepper flakes, tomatoes, Cilantro, mint and, of course, that wonderfully charred steak.

IMG_2458.thumb.JPG.8e4e68749ca4c58df3a76366f9f0c3ff.JPG

Delicious! Big bold flavors and the char provided great flavor and texture. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, tony b said:

Nice sear on that steak. Salad looks excellent, but the real judge was your daughter. Did she think it was "authentic" from her travels??

She said it's not similar to Food in China, but still Good. Works for me! ;)

• Like 1

You are so talking my language.. Perfect in every way..

I often use the sugar trick for browning thinner pieces of meat that can't sit too long on a hot grate.. Putting them in very cold, searing/browning and then warming/cooking/finishing them indirect until you have the correct feel/density is another trick.