FotonDrv

Cars you have owned that made you smile

On 4/28/2017 at 10:18 AM, mk1 said:

Two of my current machines that still make me smile

2942481-0-9733121.jpg

I must admit that the MotoX bike would be serious fun without the bank officers fretting about their $$ going up in smoke, or shards of fiberglass.  A Vette was the first car I went over 100mph in but that was a long time ago (1962 in a '59 Vette).  The bike can go anywhere :-)

TonyB, when I was in college in 1971 I saw a Jensen Healey and had serious lust over it but no way to buy it :-)  Had the VW Bus, the Honda 600 Sedan and the Ford 3/4 ton Supervan (which was a pig).  Liked the Honda and the VW since they both were nimble and could go darn near anywhere, although the Honda would float pretty easily (long story).

On 4/28/2017 at 8:03 PM, ckreef said:

TY FotonDrv - that's what I thought in the beginning. It is a around the town cruiser but I can go out all the day on it without issue.  The riding angle just works. Of course I won't speak for Mrs skreef's back or butt on that pad - LOL 

Charles, I forgot to ask, were those straight pipes?  Some nice flames if the timing is a bit off :-)

On 4/29/2017 at 6:22 PM, cschaaf said:

I've never been much of a car person. 

I had a Geo Metro in college and it was perfect for me. It got great gas mileage. I went to college in a city and had to pay for parking. The lot right by the school had a 1/2 spot in one corner that was at a weird angle. They guy said, "If you can get it in that spot, you can park there for half price." I made it fit every time.

I can't tell you how many times I needed to haul something in it and the person helping me load it said, "This will never fit in there!" and sure enough, it fit.

Took it on a 1500+ mile round trip vacation. Put 125,000+ miles on it before I sold it and never did anything but routine maintenance.  I probably saved well over $6 on spark plugs ;) with only having to buy 3!

Not my picture, found one on the internet. I doubt I have any pictures of my old one.

3408730001_large.jpg.c9fc6621d2ece738fbe4b2e86f8f9c11.jpg

It is pretty amazing what will fit into a small car, especially if it is a box on 4 wheels.  I stuffed a 50gallon gas water heater into the MINI and closed the hatch!  My Honda 600 was a pretty small motor yet enough power to tow my 350cc Yamaha single MotoX bike (chain removed).  I made a bracket to bolt onto the rear bumper that had a front axle (motorcycle) attached and then removed the front wheel of the bike and clamped it onto the car.  Funny seeing a car towing a motorcycle that has more power than the car :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

Charles, I forgot to ask, were those straight pipes?  Some nice flames if the timing is a bit off :-)

113 ci, 10:1 compression, straight pipes, no baffles. Very loud and proud. 

To be honest you loose a little mid range performance with straight pipes. Doesn't bother me any, it is way faster than I usually care to ride. 

• Like 1

Charles, I never would have guessed that it would have lost some power with the joyous noise :-)   Back pressure on the valves, or air flow through the carbs/intake maybe did that.  I do know that 2 stroke engines are very sensitive to the exhaust but I never would have thought a Harley would suffer.  If one gets old enough he might actually learn something!  Thanks:notworthy:

3 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

Charles, I never would have guessed that it would have lost some power with the joyous noise :-)   Back pressure on the valves, or air flow through the carbs/intake maybe did that.  I do know that 2 stroke engines are very sensitive to the exhaust but I never would have thought a Harley would suffer.  If one gets old enough he might actually learn something!  Thanks:notworthy:

S&S has a video out there where they put a bike with one of their motors on a dyno machine. They tested it 3 ways. 

Straight pipes, 

Straight pipes w/ baffles, 

Full exhaust with 2 single mufflers. 

For mid range performance that is the order from worst to best. There is like a 10 hp difference between straight pipes and full exhaust. Add a cross over on full exhaust I think you gain another hp or two. This really only counts in the mid range rpms but that's where you want the most performance riding around the streets. Of course who cares, mine sounds kick ass when blasting around and at 113 ci and only about 600 lbs it has plenty of go juice. Also I can still keep it fairly quiet if I go easy on the throttle. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FotonDrv said:

351 Cleveland engine?  Great engines! and I really wanted to put one in my Triumph just couldn't afford it.

Yes they had 351 Windsor small block and 351 Cleveland that was a Big Block motor. Mine was pushing 375 H.P. But to be honest the 2004 GT with a mild built 4.6 V8 was so much faster and more fun to drive. 

10 hours ago, erik6bd said:

Yes they had 351 Windsor small block and 351 Cleveland that was a Big Block motor. Mine was pushing 375 H.P. But to be honest the 2004 GT with a mild built 4.6 V8 was so much faster and more fun to drive. 

My mistake, the Windsor engine was what I was thinking of for the motor swaps into small cars.  Thanks for the clarification!  The 4.6 liter V8 would have been fun to try to adapt into a small car.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mguerra said:

I wish I had never sold this little gem, it was a friggin rocket ship.

IMG_0130.JPG

Those Datsun's were little incognito rockets that handles fairly well.  You must have had a good reason to sell it, like your wife having triplets :-)

Your Ducati Super Bike is in a league of its own.  The only thing that can catch you is Motorola and a Lear jet, or maybe another super bike.

After Vietnam a friend of mine decided he wanted to go faster than what he could buy off the shelf and started this business making bikes.  They are ridiculously fast which puts big smiles on the faces of those who have purchased them.  http://www.barebones.net/machines.htm

His bikes took 1st and 2nd in 1999 at Daytona Speedway.

Edited by FotonDrv
added text and link
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 11:49 AM, erik6bd said:

1970 Mustang Mach 1 351c 4 Speed shaker hood and 2004 40th anniversary built 4.6 Mustang GT. I smiled a lot 

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

That's one sweet Mach 1. Saw one on my buddy's uncle when we service his truck for new shocks and nerf bars installation. Makes me miss my 2000 GT convertible. Been kicking myself selling it.

2000 mustang gt.jpg

• Like 1