Pequod

Sourdough Pizza

@Garvinque-I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :-D

I'll go first.

Sourdough is by far my favorite pizza crust. You can 48 or 72 all you want. I'll take sourdough. Changing a few things up today. First, the position of the steel. In previous cooks I've been putting the steel on top of the KK baking stone. This gives me the benefit of the quick conductivity of steel backed by the slower conductivity of the stone. Thought I'd try the steel alone, but wanted the radiation buffer of the deflector. First time I've used that deflector.

IMG_2460.thumb.JPG.70827bbada31e669e0d9824f38f3e28b.JPG

Thought it might heat soak quicker this way, but my IR gun tells me otherwise. Also, once heat soaked, the dome therm was reading 100 degrees hotter than the steel and the surface of the dome, so had to run a bit hotter on the dome therm to get equivalent steel temps. 

Also changed up the sourdough a bit. I've done Forkish style 70% hydration sourdough with 00 flour and with 25% flour from the levain. And I've done 65% Hydration sourdough with high protein flour (All Trumps or KA Pizza Blend) with 10% flour from levain. Today I did the Forkish version, but with KA Pizza Blend. It's been my experience that All Trumps is easier to work with than KA, and today was no different. Running 625 on the dome, here's my wife's pizza with spinach.

IMG_2461.thumb.JPG.d6cd85eaae3ff7440896f43c5f82617e.JPG

And the bottom. This is why I love the steel. Gives the bottom a terrific, crisp texture and a bit of a spotted char.

IMG_2462.thumb.JPG.f05839389fa5fe3482b0bf392158a644.JPG

And my pizza. Artichoke hearts, mushrooms and prosciutto. And of course some of my cold smoked mozzarella. Gotta have that. 

IMG_2463.thumb.JPG.5ba5b7194f34a3c6f0d4c7d3ddccd167.JPG

Some conclusions from these experiments:

• Putting the steel directly on the stone works well. Stick with that. 
  • 70% Hydration with 25% of total flour from levain is the best tasting crust to date, but stick with All Trumps. 

Alright Garvin! Your turn!

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

70% Hydration with 25% of total flour from levain is the best tasting crust to date, but stick with All Trumps. 

Is this what you use?

General Mills All Trumps High Gluten Flour - Unbleached, Unbromated

We grind our own flour, which comes out very different, but we could start using sourdough, and figure a way to up the protein.

Great looking pizzas.

A few days ago I bought 3 different bags of flour from KA (should arrive early next week.) Each bag is 3 lbs. KA pizza blend, KA 00, KA high gluten. I love the taste of the pizza blend, the 00 makes it silky smooth but low protein and that's where the KA high protein flour comes in to play. Going to try equal parts of all three next weekend and see what I get. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ckreef said:

Great looking pizzas.

A few days ago I bought 3 different bags of flour from KA (should arrive early next week.) Each bag is 3 lbs. KA pizza blend, KA 00, KA high gluten. I love the taste of the pizza blend, the 00 makes it silky smooth but low protein and that's where the KA high protein flour comes in to play. Going to try equal parts of all three next weekend and see what I get. 

Definitely be interested to hear how that turns out. I've been wanting to try KA Sir Lancelot. It's on list of recommended flours in "The Pizza Bible", which is where I also got the tip on All Trumps. Pizza Blend tastes good, but doesn't stretch as well as All Trumps. 

Hey! I thought your pizza experimenting days were over! ;)

At my past home in Monterey I had three different sourdough starter cultures going:   San Francisco, Italian and French.   I made quite a few pizzas using each of the three and finally settled on the Italian; d'oh :).   I found the SF to be too sour for what I was after for Neapolitan pie dough and the French was just too "light".   But now with a smaller refrigerator and a slightly different life style I've made my peace with a 5-7 day cold ferment.   But you are correct HalfSmoke, nothing quite gets the flavor boost for pizza pie dough like a solid sourdough starter culture!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

Hey! I thought your pizza experimenting days were over! ;)

Me too but with all the pizza cooks going on in the Guru I figured I needed to work on a few things. Will post the start of my weekly pizza thread over here later today. 

I now have two sourdough starter's one whole wheat and the other started from whole wheat but fed all purpose flour so now it's more traditional style sourdough. For pancakes, waffles, and white loaf bread I will use the all purpose flour fed starter and for my next project whole wheat sourdough bread I will utilize the WW starter. I wish now that I paid more attention to my mom when comes to baking but I am enjoying learning from you guys too!

Garvin

Ok so I made two pies and I really have to get my stretching technique down could not get the 12inch round I was going for the crust was better than good but not great.  My sourdough starter is three weeks old but the tang was there so I will do this again, next up is whole wheat sourdough bread coming this weekend.

Garvin

59065c072aa86_SourdoughPizza002.thumb.jpg.0c0e18a136683751add5604a601a90bb.jpg

59065c2e5ada0_SourdoughPizza004.thumb.jpg.96d0aec6753076b6257d1955749554d5.jpg59065c4049b9d_SourdoughPizza007.thumb.jpg.c71288082a9939f68512f10e43a189b8.jpg59065c454ac36_SourdoughPizza010.thumb.jpg.5de3e3c1b3510d4fc2ef0064ccacfd51.jpg

• Like 6

On 4/30/2017 at 5:52 PM, Garvinque said:

Ok so I made two pies and I really have to get my stretching technique down could not get the 12inch round I was going for the crust was better than good but not great.  My sourdough starter is three weeks old but the tang was there so I will do this again, next up is whole wheat sourdough bread coming this weekend.

Garvin

So Garvin - what did you like about the crust and what didn't you like? Maybe we can help with some pointers for the next go. You'll be acing pizza in no time. :)

• Like 1