Curly

Pepper Mill

Nuttin' fancy but I like these (pepperballs) - http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=10755832 and you can find them cheaper at WallyWorld. Easily changes from very course to very fine and anywhere in between with a twist of a knob. It does not grind, it grates and it uses a metal grater and the grate adjustment is a pressure plate. I have had it for many years without fail. Though I tried one for salt and it kept getting clogged in the grating mechanism, but it works great for pepper and pretty fast too.

For the table I use these (Alessi) - http://www.thisnext.com/item/1222F87F/Vigo-Alessi-Whole-Peppercorns . They have salt, black, white, mixed pepper and several spice combos all with built in grinders. Not adjustable or refillable, but it is a good brand of seasons and I get new mills every time I buy them. They are available at Publix around here. I am also starting to notice a lot of restaurants are using them too.

-=Jasen=-

I would like to know as well.. I find the type that has a knurled knob (if ya know what I mean :-)) at the top , always seem to loosen therefore allowing the center grinding surface to drop, thereby causing the pepper to become coarse. Of course this is touted as a "feature" since it allows adjustment of pepper size.. Guy who named that a feature must have worked for Microsoft :-)

I have a Unicorn "Magnum" pepper mill and like it a lot. Features I like:

- Easy grind adjustment

- Easy load / unloading of peppercorns (white pepper vs black, etc.)

- Lots of pepper per twist (nice when making 1/4 cup of pepper for sauces and rubs!)

Amazon and other kitchen stores sell these. The 6" and 9" versions are the same (9" just holds more peppercorns).

I am 100% happy with the ones I got. Granted, the design is not for everyone - either people love them or hate them. The grind mechanisms are ceramic CrushGrind (www.crushgrind.com), and are adjustable from a fine powder to just cracking the peppercorns. What is most impressive is how quickly they will grind a quantity of pepper for a recipe. I hate to use any other type grinder anymore.

Since they are ceramic, they are suitable for salt and other spices as well. You can find them on the dark side if you want, and you can get them in several different woods. Mine are cocobola and 10" tall. They are not inexpensive, but I would confidently place them in the lifetime purchase category.

I also have a grinder with a plastic interior and all stainless on the outside. It has an identical ceramic mechanism in it, though it is not labeled crushgrind. I got it from Ikea several years ago, and it grinds beautifully as well. Ikea has 2 grinders listed on their page right now, and both have what looks like the same ceramic mechanism as mine has:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... ctId=34539

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... ctId=11351

I have one of those disposable ones at work...works nice. I also have one of those that you press with your thumb (a one-hander) that I like.

I like the old looking ones with the handle that you turn...and the old brass ones are nice.

I'm thinking about making one out of wood that came off of our land. I am not a wood turner...don't have a lathe. I doubt I'd want it completely rounded anyway, maybe try to leave some weird shapeness to the wood...maybe a knot sticking out or something.

Not sure how to do the insides though. I'm guessing all I do is drill the correct size hole from one end to the other that will accomadate the inner workings. I'm sure I can get a pepper mill woodworking plan off the internet somewheres, I've seen the guts for sale on the woodworking sites.

Curly, you can cetainly make your own. The crushgrind mechanisms are about $10-15 each depending on the size.

You may need to drill a few times, as the bore diameter on mine is not the same throughout. The grinding mechanism which is housed in the base is a little larger than the rest of the bore and the top of the shaft, where it inserts into the top which turns is a small hole.

One feature I found on mine, that I would recommend is lining the inside with a piece of plastic tube. to prevent the contents from coming into contact with the wood and prevent leaching of oils.

Peppermill

Curly,

I agree with DavidS. I have a brass one also and it grinds like a grist mill. It was made in Turkey and actually is a coffee grinder.

You're a little far away, but I bought mine off our table at the Angus Barn Restaurant in Raleigh about 12 years ago. Great memory for the night...we closed the restaurant...and the mill is still going strong.

I checked out the Peugeot grinders. Sigh. $90 apiece for the ones I want. Oh well.....

I saw one on ebay for $500 and figured a medium egg and a disposable pepper mill would probably be a better gift. Of course, I'm not getting anything worth $500 for Christmas...nor giving.

But I found one I really like for $47 here...that's more reasonable.

#413 an 8 1/2 copper and brass. Hopefully it won't take much figure oils to make it start looking old...like me. :shock:

http://www.darrylbs.com/

I checked out the Peugeot grinders. Sigh. $90 apiece for the ones I want. Oh well.....

I saw one on ebay for $500 and figured a medium egg and a disposable pepper mill would probably be a better gift. Of course, I'm not getting anything worth $500 for Christmas...nor giving.

#413 an 8 1/2 copper and brass. Hopefully it won't take much figure oils to make it start looking old...like me. :shock:

Wow, that is still the same as several nice steaks and a pepperball! But to each his own.

-=Jasen=-

Wow, that is still the same as several nice steaks and a pepperball! But to each his own.

-=Jasen=-

That's true, but anytime you buy something nice...that you hope will last you a lifetime, maybe even pass it down to your kids (in your case, to me or Majestik), you may have to spend a buck or 2 more. You just bgt some nice knifes didn't you, you could do without them...as you have til now, but you felt you needed to leave something to me when you die of pain from your back surgery. You my dawg man :smt089

And a KK cost a few dollars more than a Smokey Joe too, right.

That's true, but anytime you buy something nice...that you hope will last you a lifetime, maybe even pass it down to your kids (in your case, to me or Majestik), you may have to spend a buck or 2 more. You just bgt some nice knifes didn't you, you could do without them...as you have til now, but you felt you needed to leave something to me when you die of pain from your back surgery. You my dawg man :smt089

True, but I could not find something that functions just as well for a lot cheaper like I did the peppermill. So that apples and oranges in my book! Though a cool looking peppermill is a nice toy, and I can go on that logic a lot quicker than the BS you are spilling! But hey you gotta convince yourself, right? :shock:

-=Jasen=-

True, but I could not find something that functions just as well for a lot cheaper like I did the peppermill. So that apples and oranges in my book! Though a cool looking peppermill is a nice toy, and I can go on that logic a lot quicker than the BS you are spilling! :shock:

-=Jasen=-

I'm suprised you could do anything wid dem ole knifes you used for so long. Well, at least you can do some descent cooking now that you got something good to cut with...pepperball boy :shock:

Curly, just consider it fashion-wear for your dining room table. You can get solid, functional clothing on the cheap, or you can pay extra for a little more style. 8)

Im into mine for about $70 each, and have no doubt that they will last as long as I do.

I look at a pepper ball kind of like a smokey joe. Good functionality, portable, great for a tailgate party where you may get drunk and lose it. :drinkers:

Curly, just consider it fashion-wear for your dining room table. You can get solid, functional clothing on the cheap, or you can pay extra for a little more style. 8)

Im into mine for about $70 each, and have no doubt that they will last as long as I do.

I look at a pepper ball kind of like a smokey joe. Good functionality, portable, great for a tailgate party where you may get drunk and lose it. :drinkers:

$70 for the work that musta went into those (3 million pieces of wood) must come out to about $.20 per hour. Dennis may have to hire him and give away a teak pepper mill with each OTB.

Yeah, for $47 to have the same one forever is worth it. I mean, pepperballs are nice, and probably fit in great with DJ's decor and the flip-flops an all, but I don't know...maybe not log-cabiny enough for me :D