ckreef

Reef's Pizza Night

I thought my pizza experimenting days were over but I still have some pizza type issues I want to work through so I started up this thread. 

This is how it's going to work - once a week - sometime on the weekend I'll do a pizza type cook and post the results in this thread. Some things will be major tests others will be small tweaks you may not even notice. Either way I'll try to post something every week so check back often. Will let this thread ride until I work out my issues or my family cries "Uncle", which ever comes first - LOL. 

To start this off I want to get marinara sauce and calzones perfected. I've done plenty of calzone cooks over the years but only a few I feel were totally successful. Seems like a relatively easy goal but I'm sort of a pizza snob so perfection (in my mind)  doesn't come easy. 

Marinara sauce started last night by roasting a shallot and garlic. 

ROGa.thumb.jpg.ccf1c4b6b2497b8eddebb768a7402b45.jpg

ROGb.thumb.jpg.bc66964faac79820676652d882c9c887.jpg

This morning I made a jar of homemade marinara sauce. 

HMa.thumb.jpg.b15dc0a875d010961fe7156c80002e15.jpg

HMb.thumb.jpg.74e28b8a704e46e39ee9a060b7144883.jpg

For the dough I did a 3 day preferment. 

CFa.thumb.jpg.36e210f24c139beefbe3ff3bc5b17764.jpg

This morning I started working on the dough. 

CFb.thumb.jpg.b98ad6a6d1d9b0b2f9c91f2c1551c200.jpg

This evening I finished off the dough and built some calzones. 

CFc.thumb.jpg.2abf68fd78d64a28c5ec3a78bc4cfd38.jpg

CFd.thumb.jpg.77364ba2d612fcd684c9b0e08d542a85.jpg

Served with a side of baked feta/marinara dipping sauce. 

CFf.thumb.jpg.7aec1ca240c561a89466a9973411d1d2.jpg

I know this looks good, it tasted good and there was some reasonably successful parts but I really consider this on a whole as a Fail..... 

The marinara sauce was decent but not ready for prime time yet. 

The highlight of the dinner was the baked feta cheese dish. Warm homemade  marinara sauce in a small baking dish, sprinkled generously with feta cheese. Pop that in the broiler for a minute or two. Delicious. Got that from a local Italian restaurant pizza place. 

The 3 day preferment worked so next week I'll go for a 6-7 day preferment. Started next weeks preferment right after dinner this evening. Will talk more about this in a future post. 

It just wasn't the right dough to use. I'll  try and research that out this week and will try another calzone cook next weekend. 

Hope you enjoyed my adventure - check back next week. 

• Like 6

I was off of work Thursday due to rain so pizza night came early. Another round of calzones and all new batch of marinara sauce. The marinara sauce was a huge improvement compared to the first batch. It's really close to where I want it to be. 

I used a whole new dough recipe. Better but still not there. I do have an interesting theory about dough manipulation and stretching but I want to test it out next week before posting my theory. 

Only one picture so a sort of boring post but definitely made good progress in my quest for the perfect calzone. 

C2a.thumb.jpg.92581f016cf35c79f0bc9080f6b8ceb5.jpg

• Like 2