Pequod

OctoSpun Chiang Mai Chicken

Should be called "Oh My" chicken, because that's just how awesome it was. Another winner from Milk Street.

We start with a marinade of cilantro, soy sauce, fish sauce, and a bunch of other things.

IMG_2465.thumb.JPG.5c3fc83eefba000c5f477165c549588e.JPG

IMG_2466.thumb.JPG.9d684248bc6954b9dd5b2d76a5f94597.JPG

Marinate the chicken for only two hours. Meanwhile, chop up all the ingredients for the Thai Cilantro Mint Slaw. No action shots, but a commercial advertisement for stupid sharp J-Knives. Added a Petty to my gyuto. Fantastic knife. 

IMG_2467.thumb.JPG.4c576787f7d7c7f040e28bcf9a1535c5.JPG

The chicken is done marinating. IMG_2470.thumb.JPG.1f961292b10a3728e0958995ad184859.JPG

My 23 is chuffing it's little heart out. And YES! The forest is back to lush green. :-D

IMG_2481.thumb.JPG.fa0f725648b600b4ead2c446e6b06500.JPG

Almost there. Before basting with reserved marinade.

And after. Why two vids? Because I can. 

Serve the chicken with a chili lime dipping sauce and that fantastic slaw. 

IMG_2486.thumb.JPG.727793f327442b4e45cdf60a8d732101.JPG

This dinner was over the top! (Get it? Over the top??)

IMG_2473.thumb.JPG.89b0fc4f653518fe72fd1279cf179715.JPG

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Keith OctoForks said:

I can't pronounce it but if it's as good as it looks then "OH MY"!!  (drool)

Not sure I'm pronouncing it right either, but who cares? :P This is that rare chicken that really soaks up the flavor of the marinade. Kind of like the Roadside Chicken posted on here, but with a Thai twist. 

8 hours ago, Paul said:

Nice cook. Good looking knives BTW.

I've *gradually* been transitioning from Wüsthofs to Japanese knives as I discover the "need" for them. Unbelievable difference. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

The chicken looks amazing!  I have my spit rod coming from CA and it should be here by this weekend.  I am anxious to spin some stuff!!

Once you get the spit rod, take a good look at the OctoForks. Takes the already great rotisserie capabilities of the KK to another level. 

Jeff,

I smoked some jerky on Saturday using the cold smoker with pecan pellets.  I have not removed the tube to check for debris or gunk but the pellets smoked very well for the two hours that I was applying smoke.  I only burned about a third of the pellets in the two hours.  I will report back once I have a chance to inspect the tube on the cold smoker.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Jeff,

I smoked some jerky on Saturday using the cold smoker with pecan pellets.  I have not removed the tube to check for debris or gunk but the pellets smoked very well for the two hours that I was applying smoke.  I only burned about a third of the pellets in the two hours.  I will report back once I have a chance to inspect the tube on the cold smoker.

Awesome, thanks for the info! You're using the AMAZN branded pellets, right?

1 hour ago, HalfSmoke said:

It might be available free here: https://www.177milkstreet.com/magazine

If not, PM me and will send to you that way (copyrighted and all that).

Couldn't get in. I have subscribed to the Cooks Illustrated magazine for many years. That's the one thing that I don't like about Cooks Illustrated - they nickel and dime you on every one of their separate publications/websites.

11 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I just cleaned out the cold smoker and there was some gunk in the tube. Looked like tar buildup. The tube was about an eighth blocked. Easy to clean out though. I was very pleased with the smoke output.

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5907aa6aa6a1e/20170429_102101.mp4

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That tar is what I saw too. When using chips I also get debris buildup. Just keep it clean and should be fine. Since I installed a screen in mine I've had no problems with debris. Might have to try pellets again. Need to buy some. 

3 minutes ago, tony b said:

Couldn't get in. I have subscribed to the Cooks Illustrated magazine for many years. That's the one thing that I don't like about Cooks Illustrated - they nickel and dime you on every one of their separate publications/websites.

Check PM in a few

6 minutes ago, tony b said:

Hmmm...tried PM'ing you and it says you can't receive messages. Box full?