Tangles

Hello from Australia

Hi everyone,

Well, I just ordered a 23' Ultimate. I have been reading this forum and speaking to Dennis which pretty much had me hooked. Thanks everyone for the useful information on this forum. Dennis is a gentleman and has been great to work with. Also Aussie Ora helped out with his import experience which seemed pretty easy and this assisted with the decision making.

A bit about me and my grilling experience… I am from Perth, Western Australia and have 3 small kids with my beautiful wife. We got a Weber Kettle as a wedding gift back in 2006. Although, I have an awesome gas BBQ, I normally would use the Weber if I had people around for dinner. We purchased my brother in law a BBQ cooking class from Urban Griller in Perth for his 40th - it's basically a day of eating BBQ food and drinking.... I am going to attend as well so I decided to look into smokers in preparation for the day of cooking. Anyway after a lot of research I came across these Kamado style cookers. We are pretty limited in Australia and I found the KJ at a local BBQ retailer. I also looked at BGE. I stumbled on a few forums about the KK and the need for personal loans to buy one  ;-)  I also viewed some youtube videos. These things are beautiful and reminded me of the Gaudi art pieces in Spain. I was really drawn to overwhelming positive feedback on the quality of the KK and never came across a bad comment about the KK. I am a true believer in paying for quality as in the long run it just works out better. More research on the KK website, the forum and a chat to Dennis pretty wrapped up the decision for me.

So what did I order… Initially, I was looking at the 19 or 22 but ended up with the 23 Ultimate. I have gone for the pebble tile. A lot of deliberation took place on accessories. I ended up with the split basket, baking stone, 8’ Rotisserie and sunbrella. Dennis recommended the split basket and baking stone for pizza. Actually, after my initial conversation with Dennis I was not going to get the rotisserie but the forum comments have swayed me this way. I have deliberated on the teak sides... I actually like the clean look without the sides but I would find them very very useful. After discussion with friends, I have decided to make a movable side table with storage from some Jarrah timber slabs that I have spare. Jarrah is a beautiful hardwood timber found in the south west of Western Australia. I have attached some picture of an outdoor table setting I made last month with jarrah timber. 

Payment is sent and now it’s the waiting game…

So what I am thinking about…

Well I have been researching the digital controllers. I liked the looks of the BBQ Rocks or BBQ Guru one. Reading through all the forums I am swayed to just wait until I have the KK and see how I go. I live pretty close to the beach and it does get quite windy where I am at so I am thinking these digital controllers would be better for maintaining temps for an amateur doing low and slows. Also, I am in the IT industry and would just get a kick out of the gadget… Any feedback here would be welcome.

The burn in and first cook have also been on my mind but I still have a long time before I get to that. Having never really used these types of grills or a smoker before, I will be reading more threads on cooking with the KK.

Oh and a name… as I see that’s a near mandatory requirement to be part of the KK family.

Sorry for the long post. I enjoyed reading through the member posts so thought I would just introduce myself as well.

Pictures of my jarrah outdoor setting. Not great quality as these are phone pictures. 

Jarrah table1.jpg

Jarrah Table2.jpg

Jarrah Table 3.jpg

• Like 7

Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your kk purchase you are going to love it. Wow that's a beautiful table and bench set up. I like the wood , metal contrast. You do nice work. More important than a name for your kk is to take plenty of pictures of arrival and uncrating lol. We like pictures. I think your are going to find you won't need a controller. With a little practice you will be able to dial in the temp pretty easily. I bought a BBQ Guru for my BB 32 and have never used it. Once again welcome Tangles and happy grilling

• Like 1

Congrats on your grill, you're gonna love it! Personally, the 23's are my favorite from an aesthetic standpoint. Bruce is correct, we really love seeing delivery and unpacking pics, they're actually required .

The burn in process is no biggie, we've all done it. When you get ready, there'll be plenty of helpful tips for you, if you want them. My word of advice is patience, you have to allow the external shell of the grill to get to temp, that simply takes time.

There is absolutely no "need" for a controller. Did I mention that I love my controllers? I have the cyberq, and it appeals to my tech side, plus I'm a bit lazy. I enjoy being able to adjust temperatures from my device, and I enjoy being able to monitor meat temps as they progress. I also suggest you look at a flame boss 300. I haven't used one, but the reviews are great, plus it has a much more friendly user interface.

Beautiful table, you have a great gift. I can't wait to see your new grill next to it!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@tangles163 - welcome to Komodo Kamado and welcome to The Addiction!  You are really gonna love your 23.  It's a wonderful KK.  The food coming off your 23  is unbelievably moist and beyond delicious.

Hold off on the controller.  Learn your KK before you buy a controller.  I have one that I never use.  KK temps hold rock solid.

Tangles, that is a stunning, gorgeous table!  Never heard of Jarrah Wood but I definitely will look it up.  What color is the KK you ordered?

And no worries about the "Burn in", follow directions and you will be fine.  Sort of like seasoning a masonry fireplace/chimney but doing it with beautiful tile work.

Edited by FotonDrv

Welcome to the family. You're table setup is gorgeous. I think a rolling cart with underneath storage is a great idea. Eventually Dennis can give you the name of the boat that your KK is on. You can pull up tracking for the boat. Post the link then we all can watch as it comes to you. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Welcome to the family. You're table setup is gorgeous. I think a rolling cart with underneath storage is a great idea. Eventually Dennis can give you the name of the boat that your KK is on. You can pull up tracking for the boat. Post the link then we all can watch as it comes to you. 

I had not thought about that!  I did it with my last car, so now I can watch the progress of the teak cabinet that will be coming!!  Yeah!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Ora said:

Perth is starting to become the KK capital lol

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Indeed! You'll have to help him with the uncrating and setup, Aussie, preferably with some adult beverages (afterwards, of course!)

@tangles163 - as the song goes, "The waiting is the hardest part." Once it arrives, your mind will be blown. Eagerly awaiting the pics. Oh, and that picnic table is stunning! Can't wait to see the matching cart for the KK. 

If you like tech stuff then I recommend the Flame Boss wifi version. You can share cooks like the one below.
https://myflameboss.com/cooks/81577
I bought the Flame Boss controller and the BBQ Guru fan as the KK fan slot is designed for the BBQ Guru and not the Flame Boss fan. The guru fan plugs right into the flame boss controller without modifications.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Winston said:

If you like tech stuff then I recommend the Flame Boss wifi version. You can share cooks like the one below.
https://myflameboss.com/cooks/81577
I bought the Flame Boss controller and the BBQ Guru fan as the KK fan slot is designed for the BBQ Guru and not the Flame Boss fan. The guru fan plugs right into the flame boss controller without modifications.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RIght - that makes sense. I looked at this last night and the Flame Boss does seem like the most techie of the lot of them. I wondered about the fan. Will contact them to see if they ship to Australia

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I am waiting for the Creme Pebble. Dennis is checking availability. The Light Harvest is available now -. That was our second preference. Wifey likes the lighter colour. The Wife Acceptance Factor takes precedence hahaha.

Thanks for the comments re:outdoor table. To be honest, the timber is the stunning bit. There was a bit of time for the prep - filling in inperfections, sanding and then the varnish but the timber is what really shines. My father in law is one of these old Italians who can't sit still. When they visit I get him to do the fiddly bits on my wood working projects. He really enjoys it. The next they visit is in November so I the side tables will likely wait till then.

8 hours ago, ckreef said:

You missed @bosco's shipping adventure. His KK bounced all around before finally heading to Canada. We harassed him the entire time with pictures of container ships on fire - LOL 

That's so funny!

I actually built an app for a client that tracked grain shipping for their customers. Actually, I didn't built it myself but my team did. It took 2 weeks and was one of the most simple apps we have ever done. The client was unbelievable happy - his bonus was contingent on him having the app done. Too often, I have teams working for months, years... this simple app impressed the client more than a lot of these big projects. So ironic...

6 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Perth is starting to become the KK capital lol

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Hahaha - and why not. We have the best weather, beaches, lifestyle and dare I say people lol... the BBQ and outdoor lifestyle is suited to the KK crowd. 

• Like 2

Good choice on the kk and it is great to have another woodworker on the forum. I have seen some projects using jarrah from another aussie on one of my woodworking forums. It is beautiful wood and you did a great job with the table.

I have the cyberQ and really like it. It is nice knowing how the food is progressing while at work :).

I look forward to the arrival, congratulations!