billg71

So what do you think?

1 minute ago, 5698k said:

My father owns and operates a small cattle farm in Mississippi, so I can agree with about 97% of this. Particularly the parts about better tasting, healthier beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God bless your father, we desperately need more farmers like him! Next time you see him tell him to keep up the good work, there are folks who appreciate his efforts.

• Like 1

Same is true here in Iowa for pig farms. The medium to large sized confinement farms produce tons of manure that run off into the streams and the smell is apparent for miles around. Most are in the medium size range, as there are loopholes in the environmental laws for them over the larger ones for runoff mitigation. Estimates are in the billions of dollars (yes, with a B!) to clean up the water supply here that helps feed the Dead Zone in the Mississippi Delta, from all the nitrate and phosphate runoff from farms growing all that corn and soybeans to feed those cows and pigs (plus to put ethanol in your gas tank.) 

Buy locally raised, sustainable proteins whenever you can! 

• Like 1

@tony b, that's why I don't eat any pork that isn't locally sourced and responsibly raised. There are a couple of "pig farms" here in North GA that I've had the misfortune to drive by, it turns your stomach. There are a lot of chicken farms, driving by one or stopping next to a Tyson truck at a red light has ended eating factory chicken for me.

I grew up in rural South Carolina in the 50's and 60's, any red meat we ate(including chicken) we either raised ourselves or traded for from a neighbor. Back then pork wasn't "the other white meat" and it tasted a whole lot better than what you can buy at Kroger today. We ate a lot of fish, it came from the river and we caught it, didn't buy it from a grocery store.

Nowadays I buy meat from the local Farmer's Market or Whole Paycheck. I pay more for responsibly raised meat but I'm OK with that. I'd rather pay more to eat better than pay less to subsidize Monsanto or Cargill. Although the IRS will insist I subsidize them and a few more assorted agribusinesses. :(

@billg71 - Where in SC did you grow up? I was raised in Greenville. 

I'm trying to wean myself off of factory farmed meats, but being retired means sometimes compromising to stay on budget. Hard to turn down $0.99/lb chicken thighs at the supermarket. And, you are correct, real pork isn't "the other white meat." Fortunately, I live in an agricultural state where I can get "the good stuff" from my local food COOP and Farmers Market at not too jacked up prices (ala Whole Paycheck).

Edited by tony b