Curly

I saw this on another site

I've got one of those Stokers. Three temp probes and all that. But I haven't hooked it into the home network though.

Actually I'm on my 2nd Stoker. The first one was rather erratic in its control but I put up with it for 5 months. It finally went haywire a couple of weeks ago. The manufacturer swapped it out and, though I've only used it once thus far, the new unit has performed great.

I've got one of those Stokers. Three temp probes and all that. But I haven't hooked it into the home network though.

Actually I'm on my 2nd Stoker. The first one was rather erratic in its control but I put up with it for 5 months. It finally went haywire a couple of weeks ago. The manufacturer swapped it out and, though I've only used it once thus far, the new unit has performed great.

Isn't it great when a manufacturer backs their product :D

Old news Curly; this thing has been out for a while. I do like it's network connectivity, but I am sold on the Guru. Maybe when Guru folks add that feature, I might think about it.

-=Jasen=-

Well, I knew the thing had been out for awhile and knew that it could connect to a network...just never saw one that was actually operated from afar.

Years ago I did see a website that showed a Kamado that had a drill connected to it that opened and closed the bottom damper of the K to increase or decrease the heat. I can't remember what was done with the top...if anything.

The point of the post was that you are the geeky one that will probably do it...won't be me, that's for sure.

Old news Curly; this thing has been out for a while. I do like it's network connectivity, but I am sold on the Guru. Maybe when Guru folks add that feature, I might think about it.

-=Jasen=-

Well, I knew the thing had been out for awhile and knew that it could connect to a network...just never saw one that was actually operated from afar.

Years ago I did see a website that showed a Kamado that had a drill connected to it that opened and closed the bottom damper of the K to increase or decrease the heat. I can't remember what was done with the top...if anything.

The point of the post was that you are the geeky one that will probably do it...won't be me, that's for sure.

I suppose if you use the term 'geek' as someone with knowledge and ability to do so, then I might agree. Last time I checked though, I don't see any geeks grilling, making beer or welding? But frankly controlling the grill from my computer does little for me when I have a hand held remote that can control everything from my recliner!

-=Jasen=-

-=Jasen=-

I suppose if you use the term 'geek' as someone with knowledge and ability to do so, then I might agree. Last time I checked though, I don't see any geeks grilling, making beer or welding? But frankly controlling the grill from my computer does little for me when I have a hand held remote that can control everything from my recliner!

-=Jasen=-[/quote:1j4pgdfl]

How about, someone with no life and a desire to feel needed, and all the time in the world with 11 days off in a row every 3 weeks...and no worthy grill to cook on...OK, who welds (woo-woo) :shock:

How about, someone with no life and a desire to feel needed, and all the time in the world with 11 days off in a row every 3 weeks...and no worthy grill to cook on...OK, who welds (woo-woo) :shock:

Hell, I been off for a month and I half now since my back surgery. And when I am at work, it is 16 days off out of 4 weeks. Yes, I know you are still jealous since you cannot weld nor have a welder - one day Curly, one day - there, there. :smt056

Though at the moment, the no life thing does apply. Since my back surgery "in my opinion" seems to have been a complete failure and I can barely get out of the house for more than a little while without loads of pain. :cry:

-=Jasen=- :cry:

I'm using one right now to cook 2 Pork butts! I am sitting at work and am remotely monitoring my cook. Some caveats / issues:

- If you are not using a side table then you will want longer probe and control wires (default is 4ft)

- Unplug the blower when opening the lid (or your fire will get super-stoked). This is an issue with all electronic control temp minders.

- You can set the target, low and high temp for the grill surface. I've had to set the high ~15 degrees past the target temp because the fan doesn't shut off fast enough. _However_ I am still learning and adjusting the KK (lid is a bit loose) and the Rock Stoker (may be a better profile for ceramic cookers).

I am on my second cook with the stoker and KK and I plan to report back once I've played around with both items for awhile.

I'm using one right now to cook 2 Pork butts! I am sitting at work and am remotely monitoring my cook.

The sitting at work watching it cook would not apply to me (Damn BigBrother spies at work) and that was really the only reason I would want the net capabilities. :cry: That and a 12 hour job schedule with a 45 minute drive each way does not allow for too many 'while I'm at work' cooks - hehe. But that is a cool feature for those who could!

- If you are not using a side table then you will want longer probe and control wires (default is 4ft)

One item I really prefer over the Stoker is the Guru can mount on the fan out of the way instead of having to place it on a table.

Unplug the blower when opening the lid (or your fire will get super-stoked). This is an issue with all electronic control temp minders.

Not with my ProCom - viewtopic.php?t=651&start=15 - though slightly customized - hehe. You could add this to the Stoker, hehe or just unplug it like you said (I like to tinker).

You can set the target' date=' low and high temp for the grill surface. I've had to set the high ~15 degrees past the target temp because the fan doesn't shut off fast enough. _However_ I am still learning and adjusting the KK (lid is a bit loose) and the Rock Stoker (may be a better profile for ceramic cookers).[/quote']

Not quite sure how the settings on the Stoker works, but on a Guru, if the fan is causing an overshoot, you should set it 10 or 15 degrees below the desired setpoint for it not to overshoot. Then once it settles out, bring it up to the desired temp. Also, if there are any blower adjustments, dampening it down would help the overshoot or if there are any proportional band adjustments in the electronic setup, that would also help. Another thing, on the Guru the high/low temp set is for the temp alarm and has no function with the setpoint. How does it function on the Stoker (just curious for my own knowledge)?

I would love it if someone would scan a Stoker manual? I would be happy to convert it to PDF and upload for all? Wish they had a better web site as they really do not give a lot of tech info about their product.

-=Jasen=-

The Stoker manual is a 30+ page book... it might take awhile to scan! Maybe the company will send you a PDF?

Another thing, on the Guru the high/low temp set is for the temp alarm and has no function with the setpoint. How does it function on the Stoker (just curious for my own knowledge)?
It works the same way. The fan stops when it hits the target temp (and there will of course be some carry over from the stoke). If the temp goes outside the hi/lo settings then the alarm sounds.

I am definitely planning on building a small side table that's watertight underneath to house all these electronics (lots of rain the PacNW!). The biggest issue with the Ethernet attachment is getting a cable to the box! I tried a powerline networking product and it sucked.