Requis

Hello from Ontario Canada...big Daddy pitboss

Hi Everyone,

And so begins our journey....with Dennis's patience and I might add his great story telling.  We have made the decision to invest in this fantastic product and what we hope will become an all too often amazing grilling experience.  Where I hope to answer some really fundamental questions.  Like can the grill make the man a better cook... And can I really grill on a charcoal, infused ceramic piece of art.  The kids are all making fun of me, the wife is telling me I just bought my own Father's Day gift, and my dad asked me if I was nuts...and my mom well, she just smiled and said when are we getting the invite?.... and so Dennis what happens next I just wired you all my US currency at an unbelievable 1.38 exchange rate....and really excited to take delivery of our Grills!

How I got here:  

google, helped me find Dennis and all of you and admittedly have enjoyed reading about all of your experiences and cooking guidance and coaching.  And well  frankly I need all the coaching I can get as I'm not a grill master, and one of Dennis's links scared the shit out of me as I had never heard of a flashback while,BBQing and so hopefully I can make it through the initial stages and don't mess up my two KK grills.  

What I went with:

Big bad pit boss is an autumn tile 32" kK that I couldn't steer clear of as it adds the cherry on top of our elaborate back yard kitchen Oasis.  And we have a 22" high top  which my 8 year old pointed out has a criss/ cross pattern which has now been labeled the Criss cross grill, I  loved the teak table  and ordered that as well for the out door kitchen on the deck.  I think we ordered everything and  the kitchen sink on this one and not sure we missed an accessory and I have all the great forum members to thank for that spend.  Every time I thought I knew what I wanted someone else pointed out how awesome something was, from the charcoal basket splitter, pizza stone, to the drip pan...I just turned into Richard prior when he had to spend millions to get billions or  lose it all..and well I'll take one of those and two of those and my wife called it  when I got to...and a skid of that.

Excited to be on the forum  learning from all of you, and look forward to sharing my experience for anyone who cares to drop by.   Let the grilling begin...oh Dennis what was that waybill number again?.......

BJ 

Welcome BJ. You came to the right place not only do you have fantastic yard art but those KKs will cook food that tasted better than food cooked on any ceramic grill. Get that camera ready we do love arrival pics, lots of them.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

Great! Welcome to the KK Family. Like MacKenzie said, we LOVE pictures of the arrival and first cooks! 

One last thing, if you didn't do this in your order - Get as much Coco Charcoal and Coffee Wood chunks and charcoal as will fit on your pallet(s). Cheapest you will ever pay for it, and we all love this stuff. Nothing else like it out there to cook with.

• Like 1

grills have arrived, great packaging Dennis!  

Teak table crate was smashed from the bottom, but table is fine!!

used a skid steer to get it to the back out door kitchen, the smaller one is still crated as the deck is being built.  It took 4 of use just to get it off that little box in the middle of the crate, unbelievable build quality seeing these things for the first time is impressive!

getting ready to burn in today so that we can cook tomorrow for Father's Day.  

Quick question would rain affect the burn in process if I have it rolled out from under the gazebo?   

High-class problem do I burn with coffee wood charcoal or coconut charcoal...this is gonna be great!

thanks Again Dennis!

oh where do I find the grate...for the bottom?  Is that in the box with the wrench?

cheers,

BJ

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3377.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

IMG_3395.JPG

IMG_3396.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

IMG_3404.JPG

IMG_3406.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

• Like 9

@Requis - beautiful setting!  Your KK is gorgeous as well!  As for the charcoal, save the coffee wood and coconut for cooking.m don't waste it on a burn in of your grill.  All you need for that is heat.  Go buy a couple of bags of Royal Oak, Stubbs, etc. and light it up.  

As for the grates for the bottom, there are no grates below the lump basket.  In your KK you'll have a searing grate that can sit above the lump basket, the main grate, and the the top grate.  All the grates are packed inside the KK as I remember.

Have you named your new KK?  That's knd of a tradition around these here parts.  

• Like 1

That is going to be a fantastic setting when finished, awesome. :) Speaking of awesome, your 32 inch KK is stunning, love that colour.:) 

I agree with Steve, it is not that easy to get coffee char or coconut wood in Canada so I'd save it for cooking. Get some lump charcoal locally and use that for the burn in.

Not sure where your lower grate should be in the packing but perhaps you have found it by now, I hope.:)  

Edited by MacKenzie

21 hours ago, Requis said:

oh where do I find the grate...for the bottom?  Is that in the box with the wrench?

There is no grate for the charcoal.. we use that big SS basket that is sitting in the firebox..

21 hours ago, Requis said:

thanks Again Dennis!

You are more than welcome.. Thank you for your purchase and business, I really appreciate it.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the compliments guys.  We decided no cottage for us and built out the back yard....I'll post more once the deck is built...

burnt in all day yesterday pretty anti climactic and all...some bubbling lots of white stuff every where cooked sausages and small pork Roast, potatoes and veggies, everything was awesome. I have to say dialling in tempature is very straight forward. Looking forward to more elaborate cooks.

deck build starts next week...

• Like 2