Keith OctoForks

A london broil experiment

Just a little experiment.  Some people take london broil to medium or so and slice really thin.  This was such a tough piece of meat I thought I'd experiment with a finishing method I've heard of and wanted to try.   Take the meat to 150*  and finish in a pressure cooker.     Marinaded, jaccarded and let it spin on the rotisserie getting exposed to the smoke for a while and finished with 30 min in a pressure cooker.  Made onion gravy with the drippings.   Onion gravy is sooooo good!!!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tony b said:

Did it retain it's smokey flavor after the pressure cooker? 

Haven't done a London Broil in ages. Sounds like a good candidate for Sous Vide.

Tony I had it on a rack in the PC.  I think it could only help the grill/smoke flavor because it can only get pushed further into the meat .  PC's create equal pressure all the way around.   

I've read where people will take their smoked brisket flats for corned beef and take them to 150* and do a pc finish.   So a corned brisket  this way is the next thing I want to try. 

I do want to try SV one of these days.  If I did the SV I'd probably take it to 150* ish on the grill so it gets the most smoke possible then finish in the bath. 

Edited by Keith OctoForks

Keith, I think it would be better to cook it sous vide first, then finish on the grill. You will get a better, more even distribution of doneness inside/out this way. A flank steak this thick (london broil) will take anywhere from 6 - 10 hours in the sous vide at 130F (medium rare) and at your 150F, probably 3 - 4 hours. 

As an aside, I like to see a side-by-side slices of a PC and non-PC cooked london broil, as I'm not totally convinced you are going to get noticeable difference in smoke penetration. Plus, being in a steam bath, your crust is going to wash off or at least be mushy. JMHO

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Keith, I think it would be better to cook it sous vide first, then finish on the grill. You will get a better, more even distribution of doneness inside/out this way. A flank steak this thick (london broil) will take anywhere from 6 - 10 hours in the sous vide at 130F (medium rare) and at your 150F, probably 3 - 4 hours. 

As an aside, I like to see a side-by-side slices of a PC and non-PC cooked london broil, as I'm not totally convinced you are going to get noticeable difference in smoke penetration. Plus, being in a steam bath, your crust is going to wash off or at least be mushy. JMHO

IDK maybe you're right on the SV.    I'm still not on the SV bandwagon yet although I like the idea using something like it for reheats. 

With regards to the washing off in a pc ...it won't if it's on a rack.  I've never liked or cared for hard crust/bark so any softening for me is a good thing.