MacKenzie

Trying New Toy on Breakfast Cook

I bought this last weekend when I was away and tried it on bacon to see if it would prevent the flare ups. Bacon cooked on the KK is awesome it has a lovely added flavour that you don't get in the frying pan.

These ceramic tiles are 1/4 x 2 x 3.5 inches. I bought the small box with 30 tiles. 

592190c17f6fa_GrillGreats.thumb.jpg.d5158438104babf4639fe352c0826612.jpg

Breakfast is on.

59219086be6e8_BreakfastisOn.thumb.jpg.e880dc1d30f0fa91723f239ca86217b4.jpg

5921948b83a34_BaconGrilling.thumb.jpg.6ef96f20a69f05e26ef39021f4e6eec6.jpg

Almost done-

592190826c917_BreakfastCooking.thumb.jpg.57dafc180969778ecb79cedadf3f6328.jpg

Plated.

592194d895035_BreakfastWithMushrooms.thumb.jpg.c01f67e6a04214ad4ff387bce639e990.jpg

Here are the tiles that were below the bacon to stop the flare ups. I put the tiles on the lower grate and the bacon above them on the upper grate. No burnt fat taste on this bacon. :) 

Tiles.thumb.jpg.7c59bd3194ac981657f2f350722270f1.jpg

It is another beautiful morning although cold, the thermometer says 62F but there is a cold north wind.  It is so nice to be outside after a winter inside. Sitting in the sun I'm sure the temp. must have been at least 64F. :smt077 Besides the sun, the leaves on the trees are just coming out and looking fresh and green. :)

Trees.thumb.jpg.1370ffeafa416f1389e105a271dde42e.jpg

Time for a coffee and a good book. :) :coffee2:

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 4

notricharmstroong, normally I wouldn't need them but bacon drips fat like crazy and I am using my Little Ms Pebbles KK (16.5 inch) and the grate is quite close to the fire compared to my 22 inch KK. Because there is so much fat from the bacon when it hits the hot lump it goes up in flames and the taste from burnt fat is not good and one wouldn't want that taste to end up on the bacon. These tiles provides a barrier keeping  the flame shooting close to my bacon. I hope this helps. :)  The tiles were meant for gas grills to help prevent flare ups but I thought it just might work for my bacon. I am happy to say there was not burnt fat smell on my bacon. 

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

@MacKenzie - did you notice any additional heat up time on the grill by having these in place? At only 1/4" thick, I wouldn't think that it would be much, if any? Also, did you have many broken ones in your box. Reviews on Amazon say as many as 30% of them arrived broken. Intriguing, but have some reservations on how much I'd use them.

I still have the grate that Jon made me from the CharBroil grate. In my 23", I can actually fit this under the rotisserie basket when I decide to use the full charcoal basket. So, it works out well for me. YMMV

5921e05eb186e_CharbroilGratebox.thumb.jpg.74a0fad402bfac4edb23cfccb523e36a.jpg

I bought mine from a Lee Valley Store in Halifax and there was one broken but I know if I went in and told them they would replace it no questions asked. No difference in heat up time that I could tell, they are so thin and not solid. I have tried to get the Char-Broil Jon mentioned buy I was not able to find it in Canada. One advantage of these tiles is that they will fit any size grill.

6 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Yes, dstr, but cooking bacon on the grill adds such wonderful flavour to an already awesome product. :)

This weekend, while camping I grilled (smoked) a fatty and my brother in law responded- this is how smoked bacon is supposed to tastes. 

I've had similar, as it's really awesome. I think I see some bacon on the KK in the not too distant future.

MacKenzie, I looked into those tiles, mainly as a replacement to one in my yakitori grill that has a corner chipped off, but they are too small. If I thought that I could cut them without them breaking (given how thin they are), I might could make it work. Put them in my Wish List so I could find them again later if I decide to get a box. 

On 5/21/2017 at 3:29 PM, dstr8 said:

I like to save my bacon fat ...

Asian stores carry a cast iron device that is ribbed like a citrus squeezer/juicer and has a rim that catches the fat.  It might work well for still getting the smoky flavor but retain fat away from the bacon as well.  I just went to the cabinet to see where my wife put hers and it was not there otherwise I would post a photo of it.  I will keep looking :-)

IMG_3453.JPG

Edited by FotonDrv
added photo
  • Like 2