EGGARY

Rib Roast on the Rotisserie

The Rotisserie Motor arrived this week.  Today is a good time to try the Rotisserie.  Going to cook a 3-bone Rib Roast.  

Any tips would be helpful.  My concern is checking the temp.  I am used to using a Remote Thermometer.  I do have a Thermopen.

Does anyone know what size wrench to use for the Socket Head Cap Screws on the side ?  Thank you.  Gary

t

I just did a 2 bone one a week ago. First time in the rotisserie. I used the basket splitter, with the coals in the back. Went for 325F dome. I got distracted and let the IT get to 150F before I tested it with the Thermopen. It was still tasty, but a tad overdone for my taste. Nothing that some horseradish au jus couldn't fix!

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my Meater probe, which will solve the "how to monitor temperature on the rotisserie" problem. I was in on the original Kickstarter campaign. After 2 long years, they are finally in serious production. Fingers crossed that mine will arrive shortly. 

https://meater.com/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tony b said:

I just did a 2 bone one a week ago. First time in the rotisserie. I used the basket splitter, with the coals in the back. Went for 325F dome. I got distracted and let the IT get to 150F before I tested it with the Thermopen. It was still tasty, but a tad overdone for my taste. Nothing that some horseradish au jus couldn't fix!

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my Meater probe, which will solve the "how to monitor temperature on the rotisserie" problem. I was in on the original Kickstarter campaign. After 2 long years, they are finally in serious production. Fingers crossed that mine will arrive shortly. 

https://meater.com/

I am interested in the Meater Probe.  My only concern is the the distance capacity.  Seems a bit not great.  I look forward to your report when you get it.

Yeah, they have quite a bit of backlog to fill from both Kickstarter and IndieGoGo campaigns. If distance is an issue, then the Meater Block might suit you better. However, the Block is still in prototype production, as they shifted focus in getting the single probe into mass production first, because of all the production issues. They are at least 1 year behind the original schedule. Many backers had literally given up on them. I still have positive expectations that I'll get mine. But, proof of the pudding, as they say, will be how well it works and for how long? 

No, Bruce, I only got the single probe. Like I said, the Block isn't even into production yet, so who knows when they'll start shipping. They haven't updated the schedule on those in months, as they've been totally focused on the probes. Early Backers in the Kickstarter are not happy about that. 

• Like 1

I ordered the Meater Block during the original Kickstarter campaign.  Their original estimates on when backers could expect to get their probes were very optimistic shall we say.  I knew they'd never meet those rosy estimates when I ordered my block.   My expectations for this have been low from the beginning.  So I have not been put off by the delays.

I love the concept and am willing to take a flyer on this one.  I hope they made all the necessary fixes.  I'd rather they take their time and get it right.

@Gnomatic - they just put out an update on the Kickstarter website about the Blocks. They are still in production testing. 

Good news for me, I got an email with the shipping notice for my single probe. Should have it by next weekend, per FedEx. :smt041 Yeah, it's been a long wait (2 years!) Will provide feedback once I get to use it in a real cook! 

HURRAY! :smt041 

After a 2 year wait, my Meater probe arrived today. Charged it up and downloaded the app onto my phone. It sync'ed right up. Now, for the "proof of the pudding." I need to do a cook with it to see how it actually performs "under fire" - literally! 

5930cdde37de2_MeaterProbe.thumb.jpg.8e10e90956e9f0c7737aac1b2cce4f5f.jpg

• Like 5