billg71

So what's on your KK for Memorial Day?

It was pretty tasty chook, too! Took some leftover breast meat, toss into a pan with a dollop of butter, more Purple Crack and some Franks Hot Sauce - buffalo chicken, served on a nice tossed salad with Purple Crack blue cheese dressing! Nice lunch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Best ribs I've done in awhile. Unfortunately no pics so I guess it didn't really happen but my tummy says different. 

Old school with a vinegar mop is really the only BBQ I like. No more dry rubs for me. 

OK, "vinegar mop", I will have to read about that since I have zero experience with it.

10 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

OK, "vinegar mop", I will have to read about that since I have zero experience with it.

So Sunday night I made a mop sauce. I didn't measure anything but here's basically what I did. 

About 8 cups apple cider vinegar. Salt, fresh cracked Tasmanian Pepper Berries. A good bit of brown sugar, some ketchup and yellow mustard. I cut up a lemon and floated the pieces. Brought to a boil then reduced to a consistency of about thick chocolate milk. Strained and refrigerated overnight.

While cooking the ribs I basted them every 30 minutes with the sauce. You're slowly building a glaze one thin layer at a time. This is my favorite  method for ribs and butts. You can make the sauce with any flavor combination you like.

This is old school style BBQ. Used a lot in BBQ pits that are more direct heat. Mostly people have gone away with this method due to the extremely moist environment a kamado offers. I just like the flavor profile you can obtain using a wet mop sauce compared to a dry rub. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

Vinegar had me curious, but the sweet sauce lost me.   I will give it a try this summer when I get the open pit BBQ going again now that I have these nice KK grills to use on it and now I even have two heights!  Amazing stuff that Dennis makes for the KK.

Thanks for taking the time to write down that recipe :salute:

IMG_2795.JPG

Edited by FotonDrv
text
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ckreef said:

Best ribs I've done in awhile. Unfortunately no pics so I guess it didn't really happen but my tummy says different. 

Old school with a vinegar mop is really the only BBQ I like. No more dry rubs for me. 

Sometimes it's just dry rub but other times I'll take what I used for the dry rub and mix up some apple cider vinegar, catsup, brown sugar and some worcestershire ... and maybe some cayenne for a mop type sauce/glaze.    

• Like 1

[mention=2915]Keith OctoForks[/mention] - :smt023:smt023
Did the Purple Crack chicken. The overnight rub of baking soda, kosher salt and Taz pepper berries did turn the skin purple. But, the Purple Crack mixed into the Butcher's BBQ injection didn't really turn the meat purple, as I'd hoped. Here's a snap of the purple skin. My dinner guest commented that it looked like it was bruised (beaten up) - LOL! Obviously didn't stay that way after cooking.
592c570d3f9f9_PurpleCrackCluck1.thumb.jpg.2b5c097a64f4769a933c1c40c522bf30.jpg

You are becoming a Crack head lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

I did porchetta. It was my first attempt and it came out great. Wife, son, and daughter-in-law all raved about it. So porchetta, a pasta tortellini dish, and a Caesar salad.

Only took pics of the prochetta on the KK

592ed9e7e86f7_Porchetta1.thumb.jpg.1c3cb45f7ac80fe8b6447abb45bdee9a.jpg

Porchetta.thumb.jpg.df21dda82d9b7812def4d6249f2b139a.jpg

• Like 4