erik6bd

Grill Grates Anyone here used them??

Yes a bugger to clean but I really like my grill grates. For grilled food it evenly distributes the heat over the entire grill so there are no hot spots. Also when cooking burgers and whatnot prevents all the grease from dripping down in the KK. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tony b said:

Never used them, so don't have an opinion either way.

@Keith OctoForks - that's a special spatula for getting under the grates to lift food. But, I guess you could scrap with it to clean?? I'd just soak them in Powdered Brewers Wash (PBW), like I do with my roti basket (and soon, my OctoForks!)

I think it might have been you that mentioned the PBW.  I'd love to know how it works.       Since I use mine so much and have to keep them looking like new I use a ultrasonic cleaner from HF and drop in a dishwasher tablet.    Even when they're amazingly baked on a soak in that cleaner they come shiny clean.  It could largely be due to the dishwasher tablet.   Just soaking in that stuff cleans like nobody's business. 

Edited by Keith OctoForks

Yeah, that was me on the soapbox (pun intended) about the PBW! :smt046

Here's a pic of the roti basket. The left side had been soaked in the PBW for several hours. The right side had not. So, you can see the difference. All I do after the soak is wipe everything down with a wet sponge. No elbow grease required!

20161230_140228.thumb.jpg.3d9e0f054cae1d5b4f38f70646a957d8.jpg

I bet PBW and your ultrasonic cleaner would be a dynamite combo! You might not even have to sponge it off! But, you'd still have to rinse it down, as PBW is NOT a no-rinse cleaner, like some out there. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that was me on the soapbox (pun intended) about the PBW! :smt046
Here's a pic of the roti basket. The left side had been soaked in the PBW for several hours. The right side had not. So, you can see the difference. All I do after the soak is wipe everything down with a wet sponge. No elbow grease required!
20161230_140228.thumb.jpg.3d9e0f054cae1d5b4f38f70646a957d8.jpg
I bet PBW and your ultrasonic cleaner would be a dynamite combo! You might not even have to sponge it off! But, you'd still have to rinse it down, as PBW is NOT a no-rinse cleaner, like some out there. 

What's PBW??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had mine for 7+ yrs without any trouble, keeping clean is easy with grate tool and as Charles said you want to build up a non-stick surface! Most people use these for high heat grilling so when the food is done keep the grill and grates going for a few more minutes scrap with grate tool and oil down and allow to cool. Keep doing this and over time you will have as non-stick as any grates can be.

Garvin

@erik6bd - see if you have a local homebrewers supply shop nearby. You might get a slightly better price, especially if you don't have Prime and have to pay shipping. Also, 4 lbs is a lot of PBW, as you typically use 1 TB per gallon of hot water. The 1 lb jar on Amazon is a tad pricey, should be closer to $8. 

• Like 1