erik6bd

Anyone had a good chicken thigh recipe??

I like the road side chicken recipe:

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar 
1/2 cup veg oil 
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce 
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt 
1 TBS white sugar 
1 tsp garlic powder 
1 tsp onion powder 
1 tsp white pepper 
1/2 tsp celery salt 

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy

EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

Roadside chicken

• Like 3

I have several "go-to's" for chicken pieces - Jerk, Cornell chicken (or Alabama White Sauce), and Uncle Dougie's Wing Marinade. If you want simple, Plowboys Yardbird is my 1st choice rub for chicken. Nothing wrong with MacKenzie's Frank's Hot Sauce idea either. That's my marinade, along with buttermilk, for frying chicken. 

I typically cook chicken pieces direct, at 350F, on the upper grate to avoid flareups, especially with the Cornell chicken, as it has a fair amount of oil in it. Start skin side up until almost done, then crank the KK up to 425F or so, then flip to skin side down to crisp it up. 

3 hours ago, Steve M said:

I like the road side chicken recipe:

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar 
1/2 cup veg oil 
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce 
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt 
1 TBS white sugar 
1 tsp garlic powder 
1 tsp onion powder 
1 tsp white pepper 
1/2 tsp celery salt 

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy

EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

Roadside chicken

This is an excellent recipe and method.   My family has been using an almost identical recipe as this as long as I can remember.  I add a little wine in with mine but just tweak to your liking.  The key is to marinate if you can, and baste often while grilling.  If I have time I'll even inject a bit of marinade/sauce into the thighs before grilling.

It's always a hit, give it a shot.

• Like 2