Steve M

SRF Wagyu Brisket

I've had this in my freezer after picking it up on sale a while back. It is a Snake River Farms gold grade brisket and weighed in at 15.4 lbs before trimming. I LOVE the marbling on this one. It is my second brisket on the kk. Here it is bottom side up after trimming. I really didn't do much to the bottom.

IMG_2722.thumb.JPG.da94233085aacb83635233ed71cd9b7a.JPG

IMG_4180.thumb.JPG.c479d6df88c2981b62d8f71df86ff5a8.JPG

IMG_2402.thumb.JPG.fe0779bc0c10e96db396859217f7d9c5.JPG

I seasoned with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper.

I put it on a heat soaked kk at 225 with some hickory and pecan chunks in my smoke pot at 8pm last night. I had the cyber Q going and a temperature probe in the brisket. Just before midnight, I spritzed it a bit to make the rub stick and added more rub and went to bed. The internal temp at this time was 132. (It was just under 32 when I started). 

IMG_1242.thumb.JPG.b02ae11cc3ad316b74412414c4578b40.JPG

I woke up around 7 without any alarms going off and the kk was humming along at 225 with just a whiff of smoke.

IMG_1663.thumb.JPG.7389dcd50e54339afb39e402c2294cf4.JPG

Oh yeah. Internal temp is 172. It has plenty of bark so I wrapped it in pink butcher paper and put it back on the kk.

IMG_3046.thumb.JPG.55e2a38402b5a1efeebc2d329146b158.JPG

When I was trimming, I cut a little off the flat perpendicular to the grain to give me a starting point when i slice it. This little piece was just a couple of inches long sitting on the grill for 9+ hours and should have been a brick. 

IMG_9338.thumb.JPG.852a3a6dae5723c9dce1fcffc3344b26.JPG

Nope.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Steve, what an awesome cook, that brisket looks so tasty and moist. :) :smt023:smt023

Theoretically, the bite I had will be the worst part of it. I should be so lucky for the rest to be that good.

4 minutes ago, 5698k said:

SRF briskets are remarkable. I think you're going to be in a beef coma once it's done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is the problem with SRF beef but one I can live with :)

This brisket turned out incredible. I took it off when it hit 200 about 18 hours into the cook.  It was seriously tender when probed and I put it in a cooler wrapped in a towel for about 3 hours. Here is how it looked when i took it out to slice.

IMG_7126.thumb.JPG.45d6fb99ef6cf5879dad726efbc7e29f.JPG

I didn't get any pics of it sliced because it was so juicy and my hands were too much of a mess to touch the camera plus people were waiting. My main decision was whether to have a slice or make a nice sandwich. 

I tried a couple of new (to me) recipes from Aaron Franklin's book. His "regular" sauce is fantastic and I recommend it. I also made his coleslaw and it is also great and goes great with the brisket. The sandwich won out. I used a pepperidge farm onion roll with sliced pickles, brisket, sauce, and coleslaw.  Best sandwich ever.

IMG_4009.thumb.JPG.2c604609d5204da6da292f5ce28ca46c.JPG

I added some chopped brisket to the baked beans as well.

This was one of those cooks that was fun all the way through. The kk performed flawlessly as usual and the brisket was the best I've had. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shuley said:

That brisket looks amazing. I have never seen one that well marbled. I am also a fan of Aaron franklins regular sauce. It's the only one worthy of brisket in my opinion. 

I've owned his book for a while now but this is the first time I have used any of his recipes. They were all really good.

2 minutes ago, Steve M said:

I use the cyber Q and it makes it pretty enjoyable. Also saves some useful data for the next one.

I haven't used a cyber Q or any other device. My thought was to learn without. I never thought about the benefits of the saved data. Hummmm, might have to rethink this????

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

I haven't used a cyber Q or any other device. My thought was to learn without. I never thought about the benefits of the saved data. Hummmm, might have to rethink this????

It sure helps with planning when doing something like a brisket or pork butt. I still allow some extra time but if necessary, I could crank the temps up some too. The cyberQ will provide graphs and export the data. It is pretty cool to see the stall graphed out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Steve M said:

It sure helps with planning when doing something like a brisket or pork butt. I still allow some extra time but if necessary, I could crank the temps up some too. The cyberQ will provide graphs and export the data. It is pretty cool to see the stall graphed out.

Steve - I've got the Cyber Q too, however I haven't been able to figure out how to get the graphs or export the data.  I've gone through the manual and I cannot find this option.  If you don't mind shooting me a separate message on how to get this option rolling, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!

BTY - Brisket looks fantastic!!!!