tony b

My OctoForks Arrived Today

My pair of OctoForks arrived today, on schedule. I had been contemplating what I'd cook on them first. Decided to go with the bacon-wrapped pork country style ribs (CSRs) and an ear of corn. Of course I had to take pics of the inaugural cook.

The forks assembled and waiting to be loaded up.

002.thumb.JPG.6a0a3251bde67408d0bbfd6976e7a355.JPG

CSRs dusted with the house rub and wrapped in bacon. The toothpicks are good insurance, as I was using Meat Glue (Transglutaminase) to attach the bacon on the CSRs.

003.thumb.JPG.5ee23c59c33d39edbb493abe4a29173e.JPG

Wrapped and finished with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust on the bacon. 

004.thumb.JPG.a3426db1e3186107f8a57cd435f568c5.JPG

Onto the Forks along with an ear of corn.

007.thumb.JPG.b51fd01964adc3d04b5bb8acfe95908b.JPG

Onto the KK @ 350F, direct, with maple and apple wood. Learned a valuable lesson. The single ear of corn really threw off the balance, even though I kept it close to the rod (center of rotation). The motor really struggled with this geometry. Wondering if it would have helped to put the corn at right angles to the CSRs (turned that fork to be perpendicular to the other one)?

009.thumb.JPG.1969a255a4c23b9187028aa65b1aa683.JPG

Just about ready to come off. 

011.thumb.JPG.ec5f696f6fe168e01586c1d0b6c4110d.JPG

Now for problem # 2. The off balance caused the point on the rotisserie rod to unscrew enough to not allow me to remove the rod from the grill. Ended up just taking the food off the forks and leaving the assembly behind to cool off until tomorrow. Good thing nothing was skewered onto the rod! Sounds like some LocTite is in order to solve this problem. 

Plated. Homemade potato salad, the bacon ribs, and Purple Crack corn (and I don't care! - LOL!) 

013.thumb.JPG.aac8d64323ba746e5b1bfbeb8e162b8a.JPG

Edited by tony b
  • Like 3

Interesting first OctoForks cook, Tony. I wonder if it is possible to put the corn perpendicular to the way you had it ? I know you can't put the rod thru the cob. Then if the ribs were balanced and the corn balanced it might be ok. :)  After a few cooks you will have all the idiosyncrasies figured out. :smt023 :smt023

If I were to spin corn I'd probably try just popping an hear on the two outer or inner tines. One on each end if doing even # of ears.   The CSR's on mine I reversed the claws so if it was bigger it'd go on 3 tines or 2 if smaller.   Flipping the claws in really works good for certain cooks.  It'll definitely give you some more versatility. 

IMG_1953.JPG

18 hours ago, Keith OctoForks said:

So what motor are you using anyway?

Standard One Grill model 4pm05.

Next time I do a single ear again, I'll definitely try the 90 angle approach. It won't be perfectly balanced, but will not be quite as lopsided. 

I used standard Blue Loctite on the threaded connections on the KK roti basket and it's OK at these temps.

7 hours ago, tony b said:

Standard One Grill model 4pm05.

Next time I do a single ear again, I'll definitely try the 90 angle approach. It won't be perfectly balanced, but will not be quite as lopsided. 

I used standard Blue Loctite on the threaded connections on the KK roti basket and it's OK at these temps.

Wow very surprised since that motor is rated for 50lbs "perfectly balanced" but can handle 20 lbs unbalanced.    That couldn't have been more than 3-4 pounds of food and it wasn't far out of balance.     Tony even if I know I'm out of balance I still rarely use my counter balance.    That motor has a 1 year warranty, I wonder if something is amiss ?

ThanksGiving we did two 16 lb birds and the same motor wasn't even breathing hard. 

Edited by Keith OctoForks