tlinder

Beef Jerky

What cuts are best for jerky?

Joe

I like to use center round (also referred to as eye round) as it is very lean. Bottom round is good too. I hear some folks use chuck, but dang that would have to be a lot of cuttin' to get that lean enough.

-=Jasen=-

Yes, Eye Round is what I've used mostly. If you buy them whole you can usually get it about half price. But dude, you prolly got money out the wing-wang, with a trainer and all :shock:

What cuts are best for jerky?

Joe

I generally use round roast, but the last batch I made was from a huge slab of london broil. All I had to do to that was slice it in strips...much faster than trimming and slicing a roast.

Your link has me wondering....I used to get meat from a buffalo farm when I lived in Missouri. Maybe some buffalo jerky would be tasty?

I noticed my purdy thang had put on 25-50 lbs or so' date=' but wasn't aware that it was all muscle...cool[/quote']

That implies you are feeding her grass-fed beef? If not, then maybe its not muscle at all? :shock:

All the beef around here eat grass all day long. :shock:

Well, she's plenty strong...she picked me up and helicoptered me yesterday before ending with a knee slam...dawg that hurt.

Yes, Eye Round is what I've used mostly. If you buy them whole you can usually get it about half price. But dude, you prolly got money out the wing-wang, with a trainer and all :shock:

I wish I did. Yes it is a luxury but one that contributes to a better lifestyle so I am willing to pay it. People pay the same amount for cigarettes and booze as I do for my trainer. Different priorities I guess.

I wish I did. Yes it is a luxury but one that contributes to a better lifestyle so I am willing to pay it. People pay the same amount for cigarettes and booze as I do for my trainer. Different priorities I guess.

Good point...but at least they are happy :shock:

Just kidding...I don't drink or smoke either...but I have to much work around the house to have time to work out. Try getting a woodstove and splitting your own wood...seems kinda like a workout to me. :D

Hey, I resemble that booze remark! :roll:

-=Jasen=-

Hey, I resemble that booze remark! :roll:

-=Jasen=-

Well, at least he didn't mention the narcotics...when you have to start getting them off the street they'll be $15-20 apiece.

I just finished the first batch of jerky meat for my little one.

I had to leave out soy sauce because there is a high risk of allergies for under one year old children. To lower the risk of meat poisoning I did a hot marinade (water, cider, brow sugar, cloves powder, pepper and garlic powder). The meat I used was very lean angus beef from an organic farm not far from where we live.

The result tastes really delicious and the little one loves to nibble on it :-)

Tobias

I just finished the first batch of jerky meat for my little one.

I had to leave out soy sauce because there is a high risk of allergies for under one year old children. To lower the risk of meat poisoning I did a hot marinade (water, cider, brow sugar, cloves powder, pepper and garlic powder). The meat I used was very lean angus beef from an organic farm not far from where we live.

The result tastes really delicious and the little one loves to nibble on it :-)

Tobias

My daughter loves it too. Course she's 8 now, but she teethed on it :D

Looks like a really nice model. Maybe you could do a google search on it for reviews or opinions. I usually find a little something out there for just about anything. I will tell you this, I have bought from SausageMaker.com before and always been pleased with them.

-=Jasen=-

Just looking around a bit more, it seems like this model is more bang for your buck, at only a $75 difference, you double you capacity. ( http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?P ... ProdID=208 ) Trust me, it is easier to make one big batch occasionally than several smaller batches more often. And once you get into it, the stuff is addictive and your whole family will be begging you to make it. If you use a cure and vacuum seal it, the stuff will last for a long time (well theoritically anyway as I have never had a batch last that long).

I searched all over hell's half acre and couldn't find one review. It looks to be quality and has the same rear mounted fan design as the Excalibur. Only thing I found was a seller on Ebay that stated the following

This 5-Tray All-Stainless Steel Dehydrator by Sausage Maker is a much more rigorous and industrial type dehydrator than any others that we carry. The quality is far superior to any of the Excalibur's, but it is also much heavier and a tad more expensive.

This unit provides a perfectly even air flow over the goods you are trying to dry and is made of 22 gauge steel making it nearly indestructible. This is great for drying jerky, fruit, herbs, vegetables and so much more. If you are looking for a top-notch, high quality, good looking, even drying dehydrator than this is a great pick. It has a really classy modern looking design too!

The Sausage Maker also has a horizontal drying system at the rear of the unit. This makes sure to provide the even drying.

They sell the Excalibur too.

Based on what you are saying they make good stuff so no reason why the dehydrator woudn't be just as good.

Just for info here, I use my regular kitchen oven with $29 racks from Cabela's and have been perfectly happy. Now I never had a nice dehydrator like these guys, so I cannot speak of the differences, but my jerky goes pretty darn fast too.

Oh yeah, did you check out the 10 shelf model? I posted a link in my edit above. Looks like much more bang for your buck if you are going that route.

-=Jasen=-

Any opinions on this model? I hate to spend a few hundred bucks on something that is all plastic. At least this is stainless. Even though it's a bit more money he only charges $11 to ship it, not $25 like the Ex.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1169

I'd say it's a lot better than the plastic model...just from looking at it. But as long as it holds the heat and the fan works, you'll be fine with whatever you decide.