29 minutes ago, mguerra said:

What is the point of sticking an "@" in front of someone's name?

If you want to catch the attention of another member in a post or mention them in a post that will send them a notification that is the reason for the @

• Like 2

It's like pushing all the buttons in an elevator, only this elevator is like that scene in Being John Malkovich, all the buttons say "at".

@mguerra One needs to type "at" then start typing a user, and wait for the pull-down menu to select said user. Otherwise one gets text, no highlighting, no notification. In my experience (Chrome on Mac) very buggy, editing can hang, harder to enter return for a new line, necessary to save and edit some more.

There is probably (what I observe, not what I've read) a limit of one user per post that one can tag in this way.

@tony b I can get around this by editing again. Perhaps it's one tag per edit?

@Stile88 not for everyone. For you?

@ckreef my second tag in same editing session. Sometimes one can? Buggy.

@Syzygies and of course one can tag oneself. When I first learned the programming language APL, there was an operator that deleted other functions. Of course it wouldn't work on itself.

Edited by Syzygies
Experimenting, no idea how this works.
  • Like 2

Definitely for me, I use it regularly - it's sort of like knocking on someone's forehead   "Hey wake up, I'm talking to you."

Not so useful in a small forum like this one since mostly  everyone is reading all posts. In a larger forum it's very  useful. 

• Like 1

I'm @ my wits end... Sometimes, late @ night, thinking about life, I'm @ peace with where I'm @ in life. @ other times, I'm @ my limit of endurance. But I always know, @ any time, if I need a dose of friendship and camaraderie, I am welcome @ the KK forum!

• Like 5