ckreef

Spanish Mackerel w/ Sweet Chilli Sauce

Grilled Spanish Mackerel with homemade sweet chilli sauce. Served with ponzu Udon noodles and grilled honey, ginger cabbage. 

I've never had Mackerel before so I figured I would give it a try. Was trying to recreate a fish cook that a local Chinese restaurant does. Dinner came out as planned. The sweet chilli sauce had a great flavor but was a tad on the hot side. I warned everyone to come to dinner with their big boy panties on - LOL

I now have a couple of recipes that tasted great. In the future will make homemade Ponzu and Sweet Chilli Sauce instead of buying it.  I very loosely followed my recipe notes. I'm missing a few process pictures - oh well....... 

SMa-1.thumb.jpg.1fd101722b1ac286b394e1da3ed7f2f2.jpg

SMb-1.thumb.jpg.7a65f4ffa3a31e5bac9fd07897b5486d.jpg

SMc-1.thumb.jpg.96b4009c339a581d75553c48d9358c11.jpg

SMe-1.thumb.jpg.91e077f66619329c2d08d5753394cc79.jpg

SMd-1.thumb.jpg.ee65ea6df82831090f186a0d640dceee.jpg

SMgb-1.thumb.jpg.b057e972f3d0af00ae0f196b329d3110.jpg

SMf.thumb.jpg.18e00f93b4f701044b8fbcb8bab9ab0e.jpg

SMga-1.thumb.jpg.2480e460f9a428893315f9418a344081.jpg

SMfull.thumb.jpg.1d60e0557aa6af943041b3a261f12ea4.jpg

SMsm-1.thumb.jpg.f3d6bba691fad4f7f35b32fadb2520e5.jpg

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Fantastic job on dinner, ck. emoji16.pngemoji4.pngBeautiful.

TY MacKenzie - this cook went pretty smooth except for the Udon noodles. I had them in a fry pan on a low boil. Went outside and got talking with Mrs skreef. When I went back inside all the liquid was gone and they were burnt to the bottom of the pan. I managed to salvage some and that was the only big flaw of the evening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Great looking dinner. Nice photos I especially  like the one with the veggies and that beautiful knife. 

TY Bruce - that's Mrs skreef's knife. Whenever you see that knife you know she helped with the prep. That did turn out to be a really good picture. 

Edited by ckreef

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Excellent photos, Charles! 

I haven't tried my own sweet chili sauce yet, but I do make my own ponzu. Here's one of my sources for the ingredients.

http://www.marxpantry.com/Yuzu-Ponzu

I also like to use the Shoyu (white soy sauce) for it. 

http://www.marxpantry.com/White-Soy-Sauce

Good links, TY. Will have to order the white soy. Would love to see your recipe for Ponzu sauce to see how far off mine is. 

That's the nice thing about this Ponzu base - it has all the other stuff in it except the soy sauce, so you can tailor it to the style of soy that you like. So, you just have to mix it with the soy sauce and you're good to go. I found that it wasn't cost effective to make it entirely from scratch - too many of the ingredients are on the esoteric side of things, i.e., pricey! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve M said:

If you ever try it, make sure it is spanish mackerel. some other species are way too oily and fishy tasting for me. 

Interesting. I had always head mackerel was very oily tasting, and I didn't know there were sub categories. I'll have to keep that in mind. 

4 hours ago, Shuley said:

Interesting. I had always head mackerel was very oily tasting, and I didn't know there were sub categories. I'll have to keep that in mind. 

I didn't find it oily but it is a darker fish meat. If you only like bright white fish meat this wouldn't be for you.