Shuley

First BBQ of summer

Thursday was my last day of students so we celebrated this weekend with a little BBQ. I tried out pork belly burnt ends (super fabulous). I pretty much followed John Setzler's timing, just made me own rub was the only difference, a 12 lb brisket, used my new homemade coleslaw dressing, funeral potatoes, Aaron Franklin's "regular sauce" - my older some helped me with this, and cheesecake from the cake bible- my younger son helped me with that. Lots of fun and we had hardly any left overs!  I was shocked. Apparently I took no pictures of sides or the finished brisket. Dang it. Trust me it was moist. I mostly wanted to document the pork belly as that was new to me. 

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

• Like 10

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

Looks good and everything sounds good. I have to ask - What is funeral potatoes? 

Funeral potatoes are potatoes with sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, cream of chicken soup, green onions, garlic powder and a little salt and pepper. They probably have a different name, but that's what everyone I know calls them :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Nice job, Shuley!

I'd seriously think about leaving that drip pan off and letting all that pork belly goodness drip onto the brisket!!!

I thought about that too- but thought I'd see how much it rendered before trying without. There was so much fat. The entire drip pan was probably over two inches deep. Seems like that would significantly increase my odds of a grease fire