Keith B

First Rotisserie Cook

Over the weekend, I decided to do my first rotisserie cook on the KK.  We decided to go with a whole chicken.  The bird was brined overnight and rested in the reefer uncovered for about 8 hours to let the skin dry out some.  I used butter and Running Wild Peach Rub under the skin and just the rub on the outside.  Unfortunately I did not get any plated shots as I was running behind and had hungry people waiting.  The chicken was extremely juicy and tasted wonderful.  I really like the Running Wild Peach.  The skin was not as crispy as I would like so next time, I will forgo the foil drip pan and cook it direct while bumping up the temp for the last 10 minutes.

Here is the chicken waiting to go on.

20170609_163254_zpsqkuzoa2j.jpg

Spinning for 30 minutes.

20170609_171259_zpsrztdiwd8.jpg

Ready to come off.

20170609_175820_zpsjwutead1.jpg

Resting, waiting to be cut.

20170609_180448_zpsralzmjdu.jpg

• Like 5

I did not use the basket splitter.  The issue with the 22" Hi Cap is that the basket splitter will only work front to back. The fire basket is shaped the same as the grates.  It won't work for spinning.  The foil drip pan was plain heavy duty foil shaped into a cup and was only 4" across.  I think it got plenty of direct heat from both sides of the foil.  I cooked the chook at 350.  What temp do you ramp up to and for how long at the end?

• Like 1

[mention=2906]Keith B[/mention] - I start out at 350F - 375F for most of the cook, then ramp up to 425F - 450F for the last 15 - 20 minutes to get crispy.

Thanks Tony. The chicken was amazing. I will try the ramp up next time. The chicken was a real crowd pleaser. The color looked so good coming off of the KK.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I did not use the basket splitter.  The issue with the 22" Hi Cap is that the basket splitter will only work front to back. The fire basket is shaped the same as the grates.  It won't work for spinning.  The foil drip pan was plain heavy duty foil shaped into a cup and was only 4" across.  I think it got plenty of direct heat from both sides of the foil.  I cooked the chook at 350.  What temp do you ramp up to and for how long at the end?

Right I did not kow that the 23 is round well it was until I jumped on it lol I do my chooks at 400 and ark it up to about 450 for 10 min near the end

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 0:35 PM, Keith B said:

The 19" and 16" are like that also. The table top models height dictated the design have a grate shaped lump basket. Easy enough to work around just can't split front and back.