erik6bd

Pushing the envelope may need secret hideout soon

So I recovered very quickly on the cost of the Komodo Kamado once my wife tasted the food coming off it all month long.... I may have just pushed the envelope a little to far... I got caught up with a post of a beautiful Shun Hikari chefs knife someone posted on the forums and even know I already own a very nice set of Shun Edo knives I bought a couple years back....

Ok enough with all that I'll get down to the point... My wife told me even know I just bought the Komodo Kamado to go ahead and get something I wanted for Father's Day due to me being rather picky I usually pick out all my own gifts that way I'm happy with what I get... I know I know I should be happy with whatever but hey if that was the case I would have a Komodo Joe right now instead of the Komodo Kamado so there you go.

Well I think I may have over did it this time I ordered a set of Global knives last week from Macy's when they were on sale for $360 and I told my wife and she replied as long as I was happy it was all good. Problem was once I got my hands on them I instantly knew I was NOT happy as I didn't think they were as nice as the ones I already had.

Last night I went to bed thinking how much I didn't like the global knives and I knew I would just return them well as I laid there I keep thinking about the Shun Hikari I seen on one of the posts so at 2 a.m. I decided to go downstairs and look at eBay for a while well after looking for an hour or so I come across this beautiful Miyabi Artisan 10 piece set for only $899 and everywhere I looked they were $1299 so I looked again and seen that they were doing 24 months 0 interest on them as well so that's $400 off the next lowest price plus NO interest so I bought them. I went back to bed with a huge smile on my face.

I woke up a few hours later and checked my email and seen eBay was doing there 10 percent eBay bucks just 2 hours after I placed my order so I quickly got ahold of the seller and explained that to him and he agreed to cancel the sale and refund me so I could rebuy them and get the bonus $100 in eBay bucks. Now comes the hard part I started looking at other knives while waiting on him to cancel the first order and I found a Shun Hiro Chefs knife and I knew right then I just had to have it. Was originally $375 but the seller on eBay had it on for only $239 so I figured hey I just saved another $100 with the eBay bucks so really I'm ONLY spending another $129 bucks so I bought it as well.

Then it took a little while to sink in I just spend over $1000 bucks on a Father's Day gift for myself how am I going to get myself out of this one then I thought I would just wait till Father's Day when I'm outback cooking our big dinner to tell my wife but I have a funny feeling Father's Day is going to turn into Mother's Day really fast! If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them cuss I'm a total blank right now.

Here are the photos of the knives I might as well give you something nice to look at after you spending time reading my self inflicted headache.... lol76f4771273b9f6add2a8580185b55e0b.jpgfb88138bf58fdf3fff25a869348506f4.jpgb41bf78e2619fd7cc93cf11f30e57f7a.jpgbe9ae9a7bbc521ebf88e14c5a5df26f2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't know what to say about the father's day dilemma but I own a few of the Miyabi Artisan SG2 knives like you bought. You're going to love them. They cut great and definitely the most comfortable handle I've ever held. 

Congratulations and good luck - LOL 

• Like 1

I don't know what to say about the father's day dilemma but I own a few of the Miyabi Artisan SG2 knives like you bought. You're going to love them. They cut great and definitely the most comfortable handle I've ever held. 

Congratulations and good luck - LOL 

Well after thinking for a bit I just won't say anything about the Miyabi knives it's only $38 a month on auto pay I'll show her the Shun Hiro cuss she will see the $229 on the credit card statement I think maybe she has made 5 meals in the 10 years we've been together she probably won't even notice them.

I think I will like them they look very similar to the Shun EDO handles I already have but it's good to know they cut really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Start with your sharpening kit. Spend what's left of your budget on the knives themselves.

There are many approaches, but Shapton GlassStones get my Fujitake VG10 Chef's Knives twice as sharp as I thought possible. Check the hardness on your knife steel; there's a separate line for traditional, softer Japanese carbon steel knives, but these stones are suited for modern Japanese knives, and also work far better than traditional Japanese water stones on western knives like Wüsthof. That frustration, trying a waterstone you bought in your twenties on a western knife? It wasn't you.

I rarely use the 1000 stone, working instead 2000, 4000, 8000 as my knives need refreshing. The 1000 is useful for reclaiming a dull or western knife. I believed the same for the 500 stone, and I rarely use it, but it's heavily discounted if one buys the set.

Then, of course, who cuts the barber? One absolutely needs a diamond stone to flatten and clean the water stone surfaces every time, or one is missing out on most of the performance.

$476 for the 2000, 4000, 8000 and both accessories, or $547 ($71 more) to include the 500 and 1000 stones.

Shapton GlassStone 500 Grit ($55)

Shapton GlassStone 1000 Grit ($63)

Shapton GlassStone 2000 Grit ($71)

Shapton GlassStone 4000 Grit ($80)

Shapton GlassStone 8000 Grit ($113)

Shapton Glass 4pc Set 500x, 1k, 4k, 8k ($264)

Shapton Sharpening Stone Holder ($116)

Atoma 1200x Diamond Plate ($96)