Steve M

Chook kebabs

A friend of mine from upstate New York posted this article on a recipe that brought back some great child hood memories. The ingredients are really simple and I expect most of us have them in their pantries. I tried it and I think it has become my new favorite for grilled chicken. for the poultry rub, I used Dizzy Pig IPA; probably not what they used back in the day but it is one of my favorite rubs.

BBQ sauce

image.jpg.f1414c537c0de06c7f15c384c65d5c47.jpg

IMG_3866.thumb.JPG.a7cf8516b92dfe7539e52354d6626d4c.JPG

Thunder storms are moving in but we're not askeered.

IMG_4691.thumb.JPG.d8f28fd1f6ec48c94c9b2f12a0208a9a.JPG

Kebabs go on. I tried out a new german grocery store that just opened up (Lidl) and picked up about 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs and a bunch of boneless chicken breasts. One funny thing was the boneless thigh package had a boneless breast in it. I cut them up and added to the skewers. I brushed them with EVOO and added salt and pepper before thinking about how much salt was in the sauce. It wasn't too salty and I would do the same next time. I basted and turned them pretty often moving them around the grill to make sure they were cooking fairly evenly. 

IMG_7278.thumb.JPG.044c72b37c88ea6505e7c8dba6dcc222.JPG

Just about finished up. This recipe was awesome. There was plenty of sauce in this recipe and I still have at least half of it left in the fridge. I also cooked all of the chicken breasts but didn't grab any pics. I plan on eating them this week.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, tony b said:

That recipe is pretty damned close to Cornell Chicken. Use a blender to make an emulsion out of it and marinate the chicken in it first, then baste away with some marinade that you've set aside first. 

Cornell Chicken.pdf

I think that is the recipe. The article mentions a Cornell professor that came up with it. Cornell chicken is new to me but I really liked it. I think next time, I may score the chicken breasts to get a bit more surface area for the sauce. That's where the kebabs really shined with all of that surface area.

• Like 2

If you like Cornell chicken (which was developed at the NY college to help promote chicken consumption, way back in the day. Ya think it might have worked??), you should try Alabama White Chicken, which is very similar. Get the Big Bob Gibson white sauce or use Chris Lily's "original" recipe (but we all know that no Pro BBQ'er/Restaurant owner tells you everything that goes in it!).

Big Bob Gibson’s White BBQ Sauce

**taken from Big Bob Gibsons BBQ Book by Chris Lilly

• 2 cups mayo
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine the above ingredients and mix well. This can be used as a marinade, baste or dipping sauce.

Here's Meathead's version from Amazing Ribs, which adds a nice couple of ingredients - mustard powder and ground garlic.

Recipe

Makes. 1.5 cups of sauce, enough for 2 large chickens or 3 Cornish game hens, which serves 4 to 6 people

Takes. 10 minutes for the sauce, about 45 minutes to cook the meat

Ingredients

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup apple juice

1 tablespoon powdered garlic

1 tablespoon prepared horseradish from a jar (either in vinegar or creamy)

1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon finely ground cayenne pepper

Method

1) Whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate in a jar for at least 2 hours, if possible, to allow the flavors to meld.

• Like 2

If you like Cornell chicken (which was developed at the NY college to help promote chicken consumption, way back in the day. Ya think it might have worked??), you should try Alabama White Chicken, which is very similar. Get the Big Bob Gibson white sauce or use Chris Lily's "original" recipe (but we all know that no Pro BBQ'er/Restaurant owner tells you everything that goes in it!).

Big Bob Gibson’s White BBQ Sauce

**taken from Big Bob Gibsons BBQ Book by Chris Lilly

• 2 cups mayo
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine the above ingredients and mix well. This can be used as a marinade, baste or dipping sauce.

Here's Meathead's version from Amazing Ribs, which adds a nice couple of ingredients - mustard powder and ground garlic.

Recipe

Makes. 1.5 cups of sauce, enough for 2 large chickens or 3 Cornish game hens, which serves 4 to 6 people

Takes. 10 minutes for the sauce, about 45 minutes to cook the meat

Ingredients

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup apple juice

1 tablespoon powdered garlic

1 tablespoon prepared horseradish from a jar (either in vinegar or creamy)

1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon finely ground cayenne pepper

Method

1) Whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate in a jar for at least 2 hours, if possible, to allow the flavors to meld.

Love the bottle you sent me

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1