tony b

Sriracha Stix Chicken

OK, so tonight's dinner showcases 2 Kickstarter items - the MEATER, which I've posted about before, and the lastest one - Sriracha Stix. Yes, these guys came up with a way to make seasoning sticks using actual Sriracha! Mine arrived on Monday and I've been champing at the bit to try them. So, without further ado, tonight's cook. 

A nice whole chicken bought on sale at the local market. Plan is to rotisserie with the MEATER, and use the Sriracha Stix as the injection, with Yardbird on the outside. 

001.thumb.JPG.cb5d4c103eb4196f694eea2424bf7285.JPG

Used the needle from my regular injector (off to the left) with a wooden skewer to insert the Sriracha stix into the bird. Quick spray of Canola oil and dust the outside with Yardbird. Then onto the rotisserie rod. The MEATER is the black thing sticking out of the chicken on the left side.

002.thumb.JPG.503025b4a351acdce492c1b1cf0dc8c4.JPG

Onto the KK, direct, @ 375F, with a couple of chunks of apple wood. The MEATER didn't want to sync up with the app on my phone at first. But, with some persistence, I got it to finally work. I was almost ready to toss in the towel when it finally worked after many attempts, including rebooting my phone. 

003.thumb.JPG.29400381664eb3b7a8e45f8336251410.JPG

As before on another rotisserie cook, the MEATER worked great on monitoring the food temperature, but went squirrely again on the "ambient" temperature monitoring. The end of the probe didn't get coated with drippings this time, like it did before, so I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out what's going on with it?? Doesn't really affect anything, as the meat temperature is the critical parameter. 

As Aussie would say, nicely spun chook.

004.thumb.JPG.7408f1c74cd20384cf5a9ba2d989c50a.JPG

Don't know if it was the quality of the bird, or the Sriracha Stix (my money is on the better quality bird), but this was, by far, one of the juiciest chickens that I've ever cooked. Insane runnings on the cutting board, even after a 10 minute rest. But, the real story here is the Sriracha Stix. You can see the results once you cut into the bird. The flavor infusion seemed to permeate a bit further than what the color would indicate. I'm liking these a LOT! 

005.thumb.JPG.b31f025c91fdb08062ebcf18a69ba83a.JPG

But, those veins of spice were excellent! Next time I'll stick in more. This time there were 2 stix in each breast, 2 half stix in opposite sides of the legs, a half stick in each wing, and a whole stick in each thigh. Will double up on the breasts next time.

I don't know when they'll be commercially available (these were my Kickstarter reward), but here's a link to their website, if you want to bookmark it for later. 

https://www.srirachastix.com/

The same guys have developed an earlier Kickstater, that I didn't know about in time, but are doing the same thing with lots of other seasoning blends.

http://www.seasoningstixs.com/ 

I think these folks have a big hit on their hands!

• Like 3

I wish, Aussie. I worked the BBQ Festival yesterday from 10 am to 9:30 pm, with only a short break to run home to feed my dogs. Health dept rules say we can't have alcohol inside the vending tent. But, boy could we have used one! It was very hot & humid all day. So, I had to wait and had a double G&T when I got home! Now, tomorrow evening pouring beer with the Club will be a whole different deal! :drinkers: 

• Like 4